"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 11-22-2007, 08:54 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Tell the truth, you bought your pots and pans a "Slip and Slide" as an early Christmas present! :D

Sorry I know nothing about stoves, but it sounds like a pain!

Old 11-22-2007, 10:52 PM   #12
Master Chef

Well, it sounds like your grids are enamel coated. And, if your cast iron pots/pans are also enamel coated ... keeping them from slipping around is going to be like trying to get a pat of butter to stick in one spot on a hot windowpane at noon in Phoenix during August.

You could grind the enamel off of the top of the grids ... or find some replacement grids that are just raw cast iron. If your cast iron isn't enamel coated - just use it and slide it around a lot ... it will abrade the surface of the grids. In the meantime - try holding onto the handle(s) as you stir your pots.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:13 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

thank you Michael

That's the answer I've been looking for. My pans are raw cast iron and the grids are enameled, which must be the problem. I find that I must hold the handles, but see, it cramps my style! I'll just have to wait until the enamel wears down to get my style back (I like not having to find the darn oven mitt over and over!)

Thanks for the brainwave. I feel silly for not putting that one together myself. Someday I share the story of the 3 broken stoves and then it will all make sense.

nicole
Old 11-23-2007, 04:22 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Well, it sounds like your grids are enamel coated. And, if your cast iron pots/pans are also enamel coated ... keeping them from slipping around is going to be like trying to get a pat of butter to stick in one spot on a hot windowpane at noon in Phoenix during August.
Too funny, but I don't think you gave enough detail, Michael. Please note that Michael is from Texas and he dissed Phoenix. ROFL

My first thought was that they didn't level it properly. My suggestion: Get a wok and only cook in that. LoL It seems odd that something as heavy as cast iron slides. Hot and heavy sliding off the stove and onto my foot does not sound appealing.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:29 AM   #15
Head Chef

I've had this on all the older gas hobs I've had. I have often dreamed of a new gas hob where I presumed this would not happen.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossie View Post
My suggestion: Get a wok and only cook in that. LoL
Oh no - that's worse!!! You can't ever take your hand off of a wok on a stove like that. It rocks worse than a spinning top that is coming to an end!!
Old 11-23-2007, 09:02 AM   #17
Executive Chef

My grates are enamel coated as well. I can see how certain cookware could not be stable on them. You could rough up the surface on them using your sidewalk.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:48 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Nivcheck,
I suggest you contacting the manufacturer, explaining the problem and asking if they can send you replacement uncoated cast iron grates.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:48 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivchek View Post
That's the answer I've been looking for. My pans are raw cast iron and the grids are enameled, which must be the problem. I find that I must hold the handles, but see, it cramps my style! I'll just have to wait until the enamel wears down to get my style back (I like not having to find the darn oven mitt over and over!)

Thanks for the brainwave. I feel silly for not putting that one together myself. Someday I share the story of the 3 broken stoves and then it will all make sense.

nicole
I have enameled cast iron grates and my raw and enameled cast iron pans don't slide. I suspect the problem is more about the grates having a "crown". That is, they are not flat. You can test this with any known flat object. Lay a flat cutting board or 2x4, etc. across the grates and look to see if there is contact across the entire grate.

IS the problem the same for all four burners?
Old 12-03-2007, 11:38 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Nivcheck,
I thought I didn't have this issue so I checked my cast iron gear (all enameled).
The older stuff doesn't slide, a new Dutch oven I have (less than a year old) slides in all the grates (are enameled).
The sliding is a function of the coeficient of friction of the materials and is independant of the contact surface between the grates and pots/pans.
As Jeekinz suggested, roughing one of the surfaces will increase the coeficient of friction and address this issue.