"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 06-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
Master Chef

You should also try to figure out why your pans completely lose their seasoning. That should not happen

Old 06-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I think it's because this was our first time using cast iron and we didn't take care of it properly. Used soap to clean it after cooking and my wife didn't know she had to dry it, etc. After I read more about how to care for it, the other less-used pieces have been fine. I now just wipe them clean and rub in a small amount of canola oil after each use. But this particular skillet we used all the time, so I think the washing and such tore it up pretty quickly.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
Master Chef

Another poster was worried about her pans losing their seasoning because they were no longer that nice pretty black color. I recently got a new preseasoned Lodge fryer skillet. It was that beautiful black color but after the first use, the black lightened to gray on the cooking surface. It's still as slick and nonstick as before but the color is no longer black. As long as it remains non-stick don't stress about color. I know you were having sticking problems but this is just a tip for the future after you get your skillet back to non-stick status.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Another poster was worried about her pans losing their seasoning because they were no longer that nice pretty black color. I recently got a new preseasoned Lodge fryer skillet. It was that beautiful black color but after the first use, the black lightened to gray on the cooking surface. It's still as slick and nonstick as before but the color is no longer black. As long as it remains non-stick don't stress about color. I know you were having sticking problems but this is just a tip for the future after you get your skillet back to non-stick status.

Interesting. I have two different size preseasoned Lodge skillets. They both remain shiny black after years of use.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Here is what is on the bottom of my 9 inch Wagner's skillet.

Seasoning instructions
1-scour thoroughly
2-coat with cooking oil
3-heat in 300 degree F oven for 1 hour
4-remove excess oil
Ready for use-reseason as neccessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	18032  
Old 06-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Success at last! I believe the problem was that I was leaving the oil/bacon drippings on too thick. I thought that I wiped it off pretty good the first time, but I guess it wasn't thin enough. I read somewhere that after you rub it in and think that it's a thin layer, use another clean paper towel and wipe it off even more. So that's what I did and it worked! Has a nice even seasoning now. I'm just going to repeat a few more times and should be good to go. Thanks for the tips!
Old 06-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #17
Master Chef

Glad to be able to help. There's lot of folks here with lots of knowledge about different things. Hope you stick around!
Old 06-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #18
Head Chef

I would like to add: when seasoning, always place the pans upside down. Add a pan (or foil) under the pans to catch any drippings. Cool pans completely before re seasoning.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Hello Assistant Cook, here is an article on how to properly season a cast iron skillet.

You want the temperature to be at 350-400 degrees. You should do this 3-4 times to get a good baked on season. Once is probably not enough to thoroughly bake on the fat to get a good non-stick coating.

How To Season a Cast Iron Skillet | The-Cooking Pot

Good luck.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenw View Post
Hello Assistant Cook, here is an article on how to properly season a cast iron skillet.

You want the temperature to be at 350-400 degrees. You should do this 3-4 times to get a good baked on season. Once is probably not enough to thoroughly bake on the fat to get a good non-stick coating.

How To Season a Cast Iron Skillet | The-Cooking Pot

Good luck.
Good point, once is not enough at 350F, I got splotchy sticky results, even tho I made sure to lightly coat it.
I admit that me seasoning at 500F for 3 hours (or cleaning cycle) was overkill (as Andy pointed out). Next time I'll do it at 500F for 1- 2 hours max. I got crappy results at 350F, so have others.

Tags
seasoning