"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
Sous Chef

I love my hand mixer.... and I cant live with out it.

ITs nothing special or fancy. It does what I need it to do.

I do have a kitchen aide which i think ive used like 4 times in the last 2 years. I found it to be more work then its worth. Im constantly scraping down the sides of the bowl and my cookies dont seem to come out the same.

I love that with the hand mixer i can get into all teh areas i need to.
It still is nice knowing i have the KA for when i need it but I need to find the stuffer attachment to make my own sauages which is one of the many reasons why i wanted one.

Do agree that the KA is great for heavy duty things.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave the baker View Post
I got a KA stand mixer, the heavy duty one, at a close out at Mervyn's for $200. It has the whip, paddle and dough hook. It came with a coupon to get the slicer attachment for about $25. The attachment is okay I suppose, but it's a lot easier to clean a hand shredder, etc. The other attachments are way too expensive. Got a really good hand-cranked pasta machine at Tuesday Morning for under $20. You just have to shop around and always check the various venues on the internet.

Dave
Dave, I have a KA with all the attachments but I've never heard of a slicer attachement. What would you slice with this and where does it go on the mixer?

Old 09-10-2008, 05:09 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
For most uses, the hand mixer should be able to do the job. I wouldn't expect it to do well on bread, so if that's a priority for you it may be worthwhile to save up for a stand mixer.

Of course, many things will be easier in a stand mixer than with the hand mixer. But Kitchenaid isn't the only brand out there - it's just the best advertised here in the US. One you may want to consider that costs a good bit less than the KA is the Bosch Compact Mixer. It has a great reputation and is said to be very capable.

(My association with the site linked: happy customer - I bought my mixer (an Electrolux DLX) there.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:56 AM   #14
Head Chef

I have two KA and would not part with either one of them as I bake all my own bread and rolls, pizza dough. My last one was a super bargin a man and his girl friend parted company and he sold all of her kitchen tools and I bought my #2 KA for 40.00 dollars and put it in my truck and hit the road before she came back
Old 09-11-2008, 01:06 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Dave, I have a KA with all the attachments but I've never heard of a slicer attachement. What would you slice with this and where does it go on the mixer?
The Roto-Slicer attaches at the #10 hub, just like the other gawd-knows-how-many KA attachments. Turns your KA into a twenty-pound Salad Shooter. I have one...for my N-50. I know, I know...a fifty-pound Salad Shooter. The price was right...
Old 09-11-2008, 05:27 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
It is technically called the rotor slicer and shredder attachment (RVSA) - and like every other attachment on a KA it attaches on the attachment hub.

I don't use it a lot - but when I need to do a bunch of stuff and don't to be limited to the size of my food processor ... WOW does it do the job in quick order!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:29 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
It is technically called the rotor slicer and shredder attachment (RVSA) - and like every other attachment on a KA it attaches on the attachment hub.

I don't use it a lot - but when I need to do a bunch of stuff and don't to be limited to the size of my food processor ... WOW does it do the job in quick order!
I clicked on your link and took a look at this slicer. Wow, I'm behind on the new equipment KA has come up with, and I'm impressed. I suppose if you need to slice and shred a lot of things this would work like a charm, but I also saw a picture of the can opener. Now that's just plain nuts. Seems like a lot of trouble just to open a can. And the $50.00 price tag...........!
Thanks for the info.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:12 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Quote:
but I also saw a picture of the can opener. Now that's just plain nuts. Seems like a lot of trouble just to open a can. And the $50.00 price tag...........!
Thanks for the info.
Yeah, I've never understood how the can opener sells at all. Even figuring there are folks with RSS or other problems with their hands, why would they spend $50 for a can opener that you have to attach to a stand mixer when a standalone electric can opener can be had for under $20?
Old 09-17-2008, 03:16 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

You should take it back if you cant use it.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #20
Sous Chef

You know - - - one of the best can openers on the market today - and I'm not kidding - is the one you see on TV. The "no touch" one that you put on top of the can, touch the button and it does the rest. Leave a smooth edge that won't cut fingers and the lid lifts off effortlessly. And NO, I'm not a salesman on commission! I got one for Christmas, had my laugh at it, and then was totally impressed. The only can it won't open in one of those small anchovy cans. Check it out.