"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 07-31-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Purchasing a Roasting Pan

I've moved and no longer have a dutch oven so am saving for a good one.

I'd like to try roasting a chicken I bought at the farmer's market last week. It's thawing right now in the frige.

Any tips on roasting pans? I don't want to spend money on crap.

Thank you!

Old 07-31-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Master Chef

I have 2 enamel roasting pans that do very well for me. They are not expensive. You know the blue speckled stuff Grandma used? That's what I have. The smaller one is old but I purchased a new larger one at Wal Mart and it works just as well. Walmart.com: Mainstays 18'' Roasting Pan: Kitchen & Dining

Old 07-31-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Although I have several actual roasting pans, I find myself using a variety of other pans for roasting meats.

For tenderloins or small pork loins I typically sear the meat in cast iron or tri-ply skillet or saute pan then just put it into the oven to finish cooking.

For chickens I usually use a quarter sheet pan lined with foil. Its low sides enable browning of the chicken around the sides as well as the top.

Look for a roasting pan with lower sides rather than high sides. The lower sides enable fuller browning. If you like to make gravy with the drippings, don't get a non-stick surface as there won't be any fond stuck to the bottom of the pan to flavor your gravy.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I agree with Any M and rather than roast on a rack, put some veg in the bottom of your pan and roast on those...they add flavor and are often very tasty in and of themselves.

(carrots, parsnips, onion etc.)
Old 07-31-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I have 2 enamel roasting pans that do very well for me. They are not expensive. You know the blue speckled stuff Grandma used? That's what I have. The smaller one is old but I purchased a new larger one at Wal Mart and it works just as well. Walmart.com: Mainstays 18'' Roasting Pan: Kitchen & Dining
My mom has had one just like that for many many years, it has been pretty much indestructible.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Brining right now...have not bought a roasting pan yet. I decided to borrow my Mom's to see what I thought.

In theory, could I just toss some potatoes with olive oil and roast them at the bottom of the pan under the rack?

This pan has high sides but the rack causes the bird to sit up high enough to hopefully brown and crisp the way I want.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Okay here's what I used and here's what I got.

On a side note, I made "everything" potato salad and tried Penzey's salt free "Mural of Flavor." I've never used it before, awesome stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chix 005.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	8361   Click image for larger version

Name:	chix 002.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	8362  

Old 08-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

IT sure looks delicious. How did it taste?
Old 08-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Awesome! I'm really proud of myself...I wanted moist meat and crispy skin and that's what I got!

I whipped some butter with Penzey's "Sunny Paris" and put that under and on top of the skin.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

That's great! Congrats.