Purchasing a Roasting Pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
I've moved and no longer have a dutch oven so am saving for a good one.

I'd like to try roasting a chicken I bought at the farmer's market last week. It's thawing right now in the frige.

Any tips on roasting pans? I don't want to spend money on crap.

Thank you!

Although I have several actual roasting pans, I find myself using a variety of other pans for roasting meats.

For tenderloins or small pork loins I typically sear the meat in cast iron or tri-ply skillet or saute pan then just put it into the oven to finish cooking.

For chickens I usually use a quarter sheet pan lined with foil. Its low sides enable browning of the chicken around the sides as well as the top.

Look for a roasting pan with lower sides rather than high sides. The lower sides enable fuller browning. If you like to make gravy with the drippings, don't get a non-stick surface as there won't be any fond stuck to the bottom of the pan to flavor your gravy.

I agree with Any M and rather than roast on a rack, put some veg in the bottom of your pan and roast on those...they add flavor and are often very tasty in and of themselves.

(carrots, parsnips, onion etc.)

Brining right now...have not bought a roasting pan yet. I decided to borrow my Mom's to see what I thought.

In theory, could I just toss some potatoes with olive oil and roast them at the bottom of the pan under the rack?

This pan has high sides but the rack causes the bird to sit up high enough to hopefully brown and crisp the way I want.

Okay here's what I used and here's what I got.

On a side note, I made "everything" potato salad and tried Penzey's salt free "Mural of Flavor." I've never used it before, awesome stuff.

Attachments

• chix 005.jpg
    chix 005.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 243
  • chix 002.jpg
    chix 002.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 216
Awesome! I'm really proud of myself...I wanted moist meat and crispy skin and that's what I got!

I whipped some butter with Penzey's "Sunny Paris" and put that under and on top of the skin.

Either that's a small bird .. or a big pan & rack. I am guessing it's a Turkey pan & rack? Now that I see the coffee pot, the chicken looks normal size.

In theory, could I just toss some potatoes with olive oil and roast them at the bottom of the pan under the rack?
No, do not use a Rack, and put the bird/chicken on top of vegetables: onions, carrots, celery, taters, garlic too

It's a four lb chicken.

Thanks for the tip, I will have to try that.

Yes, big roaster, I borrowed my mom's to see what I thought about it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom