Pyrex - how long should it last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't get it either, if I crack on a flat surface, then nine times out of ten, I have to wipe down that surface because there is egg on it. If I tap it on the counter too lightly it doesn't crack enough and I have to break it with my thumbnail, which pretty much simulates cracking on the side of a bowl. If I hit it too hard then it gets onto the counter. I'm much more successful with the one handed crack on the side of a bowl or Pyrex measuring cup (see how I'm keeping the comment on subject :LOL: )
I usually crack eggs with a knife and rarely get bits of shell in the egg.

I don't get it either, if I crack on a flat surface, then nine times out of ten, I have to wipe down that surface because there is egg on it. If I tap it on the counter too lightly it doesn't crack enough and I have to break it with my thumbnail, which pretty much simulates cracking on the side of a bowl. If I hit it too hard then it gets onto the counter. I'm much more successful with the one handed crack on the side of a bowl or Pyrex measuring cup (see how I'm keeping the comment on subject :LOL: )
I heard that it was better to crack them on a flat surface, so I gave it a try for a while. I had the same experience as bakechef.

I wash eggs that don't come from the store, but not until I'm going to use them. I understand there is a protective coating on eggs that gets washed off in North American egg processing. With eggs that don't come from the store, I also don't refrigerate them if I can find a space to store them.

Sounds like it is on its last leg. And yes, stop cracking eggs on the edge. You should crack them on a flat surface. When you crack them on the edge of a vessels, you are pushing the egg shell into the egg. :angel:

Yes. This is one of the things we learned in the first day of the Classic Essentials cooking class I took several years back. I haven't cracked an egg on anything but the counter surface for about 15 years now. :yum:

25 years

My mother gave me a 25 year old pyrex dish when I moved into my new house. :chef:

A little stained, but it's an heirloom almost!

I have noticed that the edge of one of my Pyrex measuring jugs is starting to chip away at quite a rate just lately.

Now in fairness, this jug is over 30 years old so it has been pretty hard-wearing up to now. I must have cracked many an egg on those edges over the years too. Is that what has caused the damage?

I have an identical Pyrex measuring jug that is "only" about 15 years old and it is still perfect.

I had a notion that unless you actually dropped Pyrex and smashed it to pieces, it would last indefinitely. (Though I found a thread on here about exploding Pyrex which was quite alarming!)

I suppose I should throw the chipped jug out?

Should I stop cracking eggs on the edge of the other one? Or is there anything else that could have caused the chipping? (I don't bash spoons or anything else on the edges.)
As regards throwing away the chipped pyrex, probably yes if you are likely to cut yourself on it. If it was ceramic I'd say definitely chuck it out as bacteria can get into the porous chipped area but I wouldn't think this would be the case with pyrex (no scientific basis for this assumption)

I have pyrex that I "inherited" from my grandmother. It was around as long as I remember. I have a roaster that must be well over 50 years old.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom