"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 11-13-2007, 08:51 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Does the bird look like this?

Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:37 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Nope. Thanks, though.

chriscrutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #13
Master Chef
From your description it sounds like what you have is probably a heavy, off brand, hard anodized aluminum saucepan.

TJ Maxx buys some overstock and closeout items - so who knows where it came from? Could explain why nobody there knows anything about, or if you can ever find anything made from the same company again, especially since there is no brand name on the saucepan. I bought a 7-pc anodized set of cookware (Foreverware made in New Orleans, LA - out of business for 15+ years) from Service Merchandise (also now out of business for 10-15 years) about 20 years ago that was about 3-4 times as thick amd heavy as Calphalon - and the entire set was less than a 12-inch Calphalon skillet from the Calphalon store.

However - it could be cast iron - although I doubt it. Tell us - is the hamdle and saucepan one-piece, or is the handle rivited or welded to the pot???
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:16 AM   #14
Assistant Cook
It's definitely not cast iron. I have a cast-iron skillet. The handle on this sucker is riveted on, and it's not nearly that heavy. Plus, I've never seen cast iron that was polished as smooth as this pot is.

So hard anodized aluminum wouldn't chip or peel if scraped by metal utensils? It wouldn't show its aluminum color under the scratch? I guess I'm not entirely sure what "anodized" is, then. I'll have to look it up on wikipedia.

But, in any event, is hard adonized aluminum what I should be looking for in my next set of pots and pans? Any suggestions on brands or tricky things to look out for? Will they last me more than 4-5 years? How does the "non-stickness" compare to teflon coated stuff? Personally, I've never found teflon to be all that amazing, anyway.

Thanks to all.

chriscrutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #15
Assistant Cook
"Quality in the Kitchen" ... any one heard of it?

This is the underpan logo of Swift Cookware, which I believe comes from Birmingham, England. Go to Amazon.co.uk and search for Swift Cookware and you'll find the current range.

Thanks for your post ChrisCrutch, because it led to me finding this cookware. Just this morning my wife said that our egg poacher was the best cookware she had. I searched the web for their logo and found your post, and recognised the bird as a swift, so searched on that and found the whole range. Then looked at the lid of the pan. ....., which said Swift!!

Hope you get notified of the post, in which case you've at last found your cookware - not cheap, but fantastic quality.

Lievriere is offline   Reply With Quote