Quality question on SS pans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeekinz

Washing Up
Sup guys and gals.;)

So my bachelor cookware set has fried it's last egg and I'm in the market for some new SS pans. I'm leaning more towards buying the pans seperate b/c more than half of what comes in a set I don't use. Which compny do you reccomend? I would definately only buy clad built and lids are not necessary. Here's what I'm after:

1 - 12" Skillet
2 - 10" Saute pans
1 - Crepe pan

TIA -Jeeks

For the first two, I'd go with the All-Clad Stainless line. These two pans are the workhorses of the kitchen and have to be tops. Rather than 2-10" sautes, I'd recommend a larger and a smaller one. I have 5.5 quart (12") and a 3.5 quart (10") sautes and appreciate the different sizes.

On the flip side, AC is pricy. You can get pretty comparable pans for less money. Calphalon, LeGourmet Chef and others offer the same product. I have a Claphalon SS saute pan that does a great job. I have other pieces from LeG Chef but no skillets/sautes. They all do the job as well.

Costco and BJ's have SS sets that are very good stuff and very inexpensive. You may want to consider that alternative as you can get 10-12 pieces for the cost of 1 or 2 AC. I have a Costco set of SS that is every bit as good as AC and I paid $199. for 12 pieces. I don't use the steamer insert much but the rest are regulars.

Thanks, I'll check the brands you mentioned. In regards to the sets, I may have used the small & medium sauce pans once in 4 years. Emerilware is made by All Clad, correct? Is it the same quality or a cheaper marketing line?
The reason for the 2 10" skillets is so I won't limit my space. I could be using 3 pans at once. Last time I used the 8" saute pan I had asparagus hanging over the sides.
I take a look at the pans you have since you gave me some info first hand.

Emerilware is a cheaper line. It is not fully clad. It has a disk on the bottoms of the pans.

Skillets and saute pans are two different things.

Skillets are fry pans with sloping sides.
all%20clad%20fry%20pan.jpg

Saute pans have straight sides.
saute_pan_3.jpg

Last edited:
American usage has the nomenclature backwards. A skillet is really a saute pan, used by line cooks almost exclusively. The frying pan is straight sided with a lid for shallow frying (as opposed to a deep pot for deep frying). sauteuse and sautoire.

Thanks for your help....Andy. I just ordered a 10" All Clad skillet. I'll play around with it for a while and see if I change my mind on the other 2.

except for the Crepe pan....yum.

Jeekinz said:
Thanks for your help....Andy. I just ordered a 10" All Clad skillet. I'll play around with it for a while and see if I change my mind on the other 2.

except for the Crepe pan....yum.

Cookware and more is currently having a big sale on AllClad, BTW.

for crepes go for a 10" cast iron griddle, lodge makes one for less than 15 bucks, nothing browns creps and pancakes better than cast iron.

Michael, I agree, my gramma's old cast iron spider griddle from Griswold is an awesome crepe pan. A true family piece and piece of Americana I'm proud to have and use.

UPDATE: Well tonight I had a chance to put the AllClads to the test. Keep in mind, this is my first time ever to cook with stainless steel cookware. Let me tell you, I will never go back to non stick pans. Everything I cooked was in the same 10" fry pan(washing in between of course).

First, I cooked a batch of crepes. I was very worried about sticking, but I let the pan do IT'S work and they came out perfect. The crepes slid right off the pan into a plate. Second, I sauteed shrimp with a butter & garlic sauce. I achieved nice browning and a sauce to die for. Third, the topping for the crepe. Sliced strawberries marinated in spiced rum and sugar, reduced to a glaze.

As I said, I was truly worried about sticking, but I listened to comments from others on this site (don't use high heat, don't try and turn the food too fast, the food will release itself from the pan, etc.) and it worked out great!

I now have EVEN temps throughout the pan surface. And clean up is just as easy as with a non stick pan. I don't need the range cranking to get a good sear. And I have a set of pans that will last a heck of alot longer than any non stick pan. They are truly a dream to cook with.

Thanks for everyones help!

One note I forgot to add. I found that higher quality pans will hold heat longer than cheaper pans. When I laid the pan down in the sink with some soapy water in it to soak for a few minutes, the pan was still pretty hot. Whereas, my cheaper cookware would be the temp of the sink by then.

you may still want a teflon skillet for omlets. eggs are a world to themselves.
you can pick up a pro restaurant pan for reasonable rates.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom