Question about cast-iron pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
sarah said:
i dont have a sand paper right now,so i just washed and dried it,and smeared crisco all over it,inside and out,handle,everything,and now its in the oven baking at 350 as you said,i hope it'll work...

Sarah, when you're ready to sand it, have your hubby do it--you--and baby--shouldn't breath that stuff . :)

PA Baker said:
Sarah, when you're ready to sand it, have your hubby do it--you--and baby--shouldn't breath that stuff . :)
is it that bad?:ohmy:

You shouldn't breathe in any sort of fine particulates. It's not awful for you (don't worry--I'm so sorry if I scared you) but it's just not a good thing either. I know it's mainly in the first trimester that they say to avoid fumes and particulates as much as possible, but better safe than sorry.

Once it's properly seasoned it's ok to use soap and hot water on it. I do it all the time and my skillets are black and shiny. I do use them an awful lot, so they hardly ever need to be reseasoned.

The key is making sure you DRY the skillet THOROUGHLY.

My mother put hers in the dishwasher once in a while and hers (almost 50 years old now) are like teflon.

jennyema said:
Once it's properly seasoned it's ok to use soap and hot water on it. I do it all the time and my skillets are black and shiny. I do use them an awful lot, so they hardly ever need to be reseasoned.

That is what I do, and I never reseason mine. I let the cooking fats do that job for me.

PA Baker said:
You shouldn't breathe in any sort of fine particulates. It's not awful for you (don't worry--I'm so sorry if I scared you) but it's just not a good thing either. I know it's mainly in the first trimester that they say to avoid fumes and particulates as much as possible, but better safe than sorry.
oh i didnt know that,thanks for telling pa baker:)

jennyema said:

My mother put hers in the dishwasher once in a while and hers (almost 50 years old now) are like teflon.
oh good! its gonna be easier for me now i think,so i can use the soap too,last time i didnt dry it thoroughly thats why its bottom is a little orange now,but i'm gonna take care of that from now on...

Make sure you use a oil/grease in your skillet when cooking, if you are going to wash it with soap.

If you don't, you will find you will have problems with rusting/sticking.

choclatechef said:
Make sure you use a oil/grease in your skillet when cooking, if you are going to wash it with soap.

If you don't, you will find you will have problems with rusting/sticking.

Yes. Quite true. Although i do not use oil or grease when cooking foods that throw off fat.

that's probably why my seasoning wears off. i use as little fat or oil in my cooking as possible. i use it like non-stick cookware, and then scrub it fairly well with soap and water, then onto a burner to completely dry.

buckytom said:
that's probably why my seasoning wears off. i use as little fat or oil in my cooking as possible. i use it like non-stick cookware, and then scrub it fairly well with soap and water, then onto a burner to completely dry.

Yep bucky! That is just what happens.

If you want to use little fat or oil, then you either should not wash with soap, or be prepared to re-season your pan often.

That is just the way it is with cast iron.:LOL:

Another way to get the orange out is to sprinkle a little baking soda in the pan, add a little water, and rub it out with a wet paper towel. Worked every time for me until I got a good layer of seasoning on my pans.

I have three Lodge cast iron skillets, an 8", 10", and 12". I love them all. Some things I've learned through the years using them:

-Season the pan according to package directions as soon as you get it home, before you cook in it.
-When you clean it, it's best to clean it HOT, as soon as you're done cooking. Plate your food, or if it's a lot, place it on a serving plate or platter. Hit the hot pan with about 1/4 c COLD water, and scrub like mad, tilting the pan to keep the now hot water (the residual heat of the pan will heat the water quickly) from scalding your fingers. This takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do, it's automatic. Once the pan is clean, rinse, and place it back on the burner to dry over heat. This drives all the moisture from the pores in the metal to prevent rust.
-I ALWAYS reseason my cast iron as soon as I've dried it, by rubbing a little crisco all over the pan.
-I've found that even when I reseason the pan after each use, and I still have problems with sticking and/or rust (gotta teach my in-laws NOT to use soap in my skillets), then some deep- and pan-frying sessions are called for. Chicken Fried Steak, Fried Chicken, Fried Catfish, etc., will work wonders for helping to add to the seasoning of a skillet. It also makes cleaning a snap. Remember to follow-through with drying the pan on heat and rubbing a little Crisco all over it.
-I store my pans nested together to save on storage space. However, you'll want to put some cardboard between the pans to cushion the seasoning coat (don't want to scrape it off), and prevent contact rusting if there's any moisture in there.

Cast Iron pans

I have never washed mine with soap and water. Instead, I sprinkle it with salt to take off any stuck on food and then rinsied with hot water. :cool:

ok i have another question,are the cast-iron skillets good for making roast? i was thinking maybe to sear the meat over stove 1st and then pop it in the oven for a couple hours for a tender roast beef...and what temp will be good for it?

sarah said:
ok i have another question,are the cast-iron skillets good for making roast? i was thinking maybe to sear the meat over stove 1st and then pop it in the oven for a couple hours for a tender roast beef...and what temp will be good for it?

That should work out fine. Just remember not to use any acidic ingredients....

choclatechef said:
That should work out fine. Just remember not to use any acidic ingredients....
acidic ingredients like what?

what is a roast without lemon juice :( ,but we can use yogurt,right?

Back
Top Bottom