"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Question about Cast Iron Pan Maintenance

Ok so I recently bought a Lodge Logic pre-seasoned 12-in cast iron pan. I follow the instructions to keep it clean: scrubbing with paper towels and kosher salt, then rubbing it down with a bit of oil on low heat after it's clean.

However, after cooking with it the third time, the marinade I had the meat in started to cook into the pan. After cooking, I tried scrubbing it the same way I had before, but now there's a residue in the middle of the pan that I can't get off with kosher salt alone. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 09-29-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chave982 View Post
Ok so I recently bought a Lodge Logic pre-seasoned 12-in cast iron pan. I follow the instructions to keep it clean: scrubbing with paper towels and kosher salt, then rubbing it down with a bit of oil on low heat after it's clean.

However, after cooking with it the third time, the marinade I had the meat in started to cook into the pan. After cooking, I tried scrubbing it the same way I had before, but now there's a residue in the middle of the pan that I can't get off with kosher salt alone. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Not sure what you mean by "cooking into the pan." If it's a Lodge Cast Iron pan you won't have a problem. Some of the other brands will leave a residue looking mark on the pan. My daughter has one of those and it will probably be there for a long time. If the marinade you used had acid, such as tomatoes, lemon juice, vinegar etc. then that may be the why you have that mark. Cast iron mfgs. recommend waiting until your pan is well seasoned, using it maybe 10 to 12 times to eliminate that problem. I don't use kosher salt, just a good stiff brush and very hot water. I don't think the mark is going to affect the food, it will probably go away in time.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chave982
These instructions came from Lodge???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chave982
If there is a "residue" stuck to the pan...try simmering a little water in it to see if that loosens it a bit...If that doesn't work...then get more aggressive with your cleaning...a plastic scrubby thingy....or get even more aggressive and use a brillo pad....bottom line clean it!!!

If you have a discoloration due to some of the thin (at this point) seasoning being removed by your marinade (acid) then don't worry about it... clean it.. then follow instructions to re-season the pan...it may be two toned....not to fear....in time it will all turn black as you use the pan.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #4
Executive Chef

very hot water and a stiff brush. dry well, heat and apply a little oil.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:59 AM   #5
Master Chef

One thing you'll realize with cast iron is you can beat the heck of them and they'll last forever. I've use Brillo, metal spatulas, etc... and it hasn't harmed it yet. Simmering hot water for a little while works well as Robo410 recommended. Just remember the oil when your done cleaning and drying.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:18 AM   #6
Cook

Been there done that. Your problem is that you actually believed them when they said the pan was pre-seasoned. I fell for that once and I've found that there is no substitute for the old fashioned way of seasoning cast iron. Scrub it clean with a steel wool pad and coat it with shortening and bake it the old fashioned way. I coat with Crisco liberally, and bake at 350 degrees for an hour. Bake it upside down over a baking sheet, so the Crisco doesn't pool in the bottom of the pan. It is the only way for a CI pan to really be seasoned.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutamykitchen View Post
One thing you'll realize with cast iron is you can beat the heck of them and they'll last forever. I've use Brillo, metal spatulas, etc... and it hasn't harmed it yet. Simmering hot water for a little while works well as Robo410 recommended. Just remember the oil when your done cleaning and drying.
You know, using a metal spatula should do the trick. I noticed that if I scratched at it with my fingernail, it would come up, but I was afraid to use something metal over the whole surface like that. I guess that's just force-of-habit coming from being so careful with non-stick skillets lol.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Ok so I'm curious, what is everyone's favorite way of cleaning their cast iron pan after each use? The only thing I know is to not use soap!
Old 09-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

As others have said, just simmer some water in the pan and use a wood spatula to scrape up the crud. Then use a blue scrubbie to clean of any remains.

I'd leave metal utensils as a last resort.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:01 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chave982 View Post
Ok so I'm curious, what is everyone's favorite way of cleaning their cast iron pan after each use? The only thing I know is to not use soap!
I use soap and a scotch brite sponge.

When I'm done I put the pan over a medium-high burner and wipe on a thin coat of veggie oil. I let the pan cool on the stove, wipe off any excess oil with a new paper towel.

My pans are pretty much non-stick even cleaning them after every use. Oh, and they are no-name 20 something year old made in China jobs.