Question about Cast Iron Pan Maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
Ok so I recently bought a Lodge Logic pre-seasoned 12-in cast iron pan. I follow the instructions to keep it clean: scrubbing with paper towels and kosher salt, then rubbing it down with a bit of oil on low heat after it's clean.

However, after cooking with it the third time, the marinade I had the meat in started to cook into the pan. After cooking, I tried scrubbing it the same way I had before, but now there's a residue in the middle of the pan that I can't get off with kosher salt alone. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ok so I recently bought a Lodge Logic pre-seasoned 12-in cast iron pan. I follow the instructions to keep it clean: scrubbing with paper towels and kosher salt, then rubbing it down with a bit of oil on low heat after it's clean.

However, after cooking with it the third time, the marinade I had the meat in started to cook into the pan. After cooking, I tried scrubbing it the same way I had before, but now there's a residue in the middle of the pan that I can't get off with kosher salt alone. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Not sure what you mean by "cooking into the pan." If it's a Lodge Cast Iron pan you won't have a problem. Some of the other brands will leave a residue looking mark on the pan. My daughter has one of those and it will probably be there for a long time. If the marinade you used had acid, such as tomatoes, lemon juice, vinegar etc. then that may be the why you have that mark. Cast iron mfgs. recommend waiting until your pan is well seasoned, using it maybe 10 to 12 times to eliminate that problem. I don't use kosher salt, just a good stiff brush and very hot water. I don't think the mark is going to affect the food, it will probably go away in time.

chave982 said:

These instructions came from Lodge???

chave982 said:

If there is a "residue" stuck to the pan...try simmering a little water in it to see if that loosens it a bit...If that doesn't work...then get more aggressive with your cleaning...a plastic scrubby thingy....or get even more aggressive and use a brillo pad....bottom line clean it!!!

If you have a discoloration due to some of the thin (at this point) seasoning being removed by your marinade (acid) then don't worry about it... clean it.. then follow instructions to re-season the pan...it may be two toned....not to fear....in time it will all turn black as you use the pan.

One thing you'll realize with cast iron is you can beat the heck of them and they'll last forever. I've use Brillo, metal spatulas, etc... and it hasn't harmed it yet. Simmering hot water for a little while works well as Robo410 recommended. Just remember the oil when your done cleaning and drying.

Last edited:
Been there done that. Your problem is that you actually believed them when they said the pan was pre-seasoned. I fell for that once and I've found that there is no substitute for the old fashioned way of seasoning cast iron. Scrub it clean with a steel wool pad and coat it with shortening and bake it the old fashioned way. I coat with Crisco liberally, and bake at 350 degrees for an hour. Bake it upside down over a baking sheet, so the Crisco doesn't pool in the bottom of the pan. It is the only way for a CI pan to really be seasoned.

One thing you'll realize with cast iron is you can beat the heck of them and they'll last forever. I've use Brillo, metal spatulas, etc... and it hasn't harmed it yet. Simmering hot water for a little while works well as Robo410 recommended. Just remember the oil when your done cleaning and drying.

You know, using a metal spatula should do the trick. I noticed that if I scratched at it with my fingernail, it would come up, but I was afraid to use something metal over the whole surface like that. I guess that's just force-of-habit coming from being so careful with non-stick skillets lol.

Ok so I'm curious, what is everyone's favorite way of cleaning their cast iron pan after each use? The only thing I know is to not use soap!

As others have said, just simmer some water in the pan and use a wood spatula to scrape up the crud. Then use a blue scrubbie to clean of any remains.

I'd leave metal utensils as a last resort.

Ok so I'm curious, what is everyone's favorite way of cleaning their cast iron pan after each use? The only thing I know is to not use soap!

I use soap and a scotch brite sponge.

When I'm done I put the pan over a medium-high burner and wipe on a thin coat of veggie oil. I let the pan cool on the stove, wipe off any excess oil with a new paper towel.

My pans are pretty much non-stick even cleaning them after every use. Oh, and they are no-name 20 something year old made in China jobs.

I have a couple of blades from old spatulas which I use for scraping pretty much everything, including CI. I never use soap, and water only sparingly. I find that scraping off the crud while still warm works best for me. If this is new Lodge, the crud probably is sticking in the valleys in the pan, and you cannot scrape it clean except with something soft. Not a Lodge fan myself.

I checked the Lodge site and nowhere does it say to use kosher salt and a paper towel. Here's what I found Lodge Cast Iron Cookware - America's Original Cookware - South Pittsburg, TN USA

I checked with the Lodge people a few years ago when I first started using their products and they said NEVER use salt to clean cast iron. It could cause the metal to pit. Cast iron will develop a very smooth, satin finish after several uses. Stiff brush, no soap, and very hot water. I soak my pan in extremely hot water if something sticks, which is very seldom and by the time I'm done with dinner whatever is stuck is loosened off.

Soaking it in vinegar will strip the seasoning. Don't do it.

It's not a big deal to scrub the pan to remove leftover food. Only takes a few minutes to reseason it. Even after scrubbing my CI pans with hot soapy water and a scotch brite, you'd be amazed how well the seasoning stays put.

A teflon safe scrubbing sponge is my preference. In tough cases, a bit of unscented dish detergent.

A plastic putty knife/scraper is also handy in some cases and won't scratch the pan. The little plastic razors from Lee Valley look like they'd do a good job too but I've not tried them yet. Double-Edged Plastic Razor Blades - Lee Valley Tools
Disagree about any dish detergent. CI is one thing soap of any kind should touch.

Totally love the plastic razors though. Those are cool.

It's not a big deal to scrub the pan to remove leftover food. Only takes a few minutes to reseason it. Even after scrubbing my CI pans with hot soapy water and a scotch brite, you'd be amazed how well the seasoning stays put.

Sorry to disagree but the oil seasoning is done so that the open pores of the iron will seal shut. If you use detergent or soap of any kind, you strip the oil away thus losing the seaoning. No CI mfg. recommends using soap. Just very hot water and non metal pad. BTW using vinegar will strip away the seasoning and leave a metallic taste on your food. This is why CI mfg. recommend using your pan several times before cooking with acid of any kind (lemon juice, vinegar, tomatoes etc.)

Back
Top Bottom