"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #21
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil View Post
I have a question about stainless steel as well and I hope someone here can help. I have a set of Cuisinart stainless stell as well and I am having real trouble with foods sticking. If I try to brown anything the food almost fuses itself to the pan. Is my heat too high? Am I not using enough oil? Thanks in advance for any help.
That isn't too terribly uncommon in my experience. I recently bought my first SS omelet pan. Meat usually doesn't stick too much if it's truly browned properly. I tried making pan fried potato cakes and almost threw it through the window. No matter what I did or how long I let them cook, they stuck. I ended up heating up a cast iron skillet of mine and pouring the oil into it.

I've found that I MUCH prefer the CI to the SS but use my SS pan when I need a really big pan or I'm making a sauce that would affect the seasoning of my CI.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #22
Head Chef

I think stainless steel is most appropriate for stock pots or maybe saucepans and better with Aluminum clad or layered bottoms.

I think stainless steel skillets are a waste of time, patience and money unless they are used for sauces, etc. not frying. JMHO

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:14 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Deathbysoup
I love my Cuisinart SS set but I didn't initially.
It does take some getting used to , to ensure the temperature is right and such . I found this out the hard way with my small frying pan when trying to pan-fry potatoes. Like another poster above they stuck and stuck , after a couple of unsuccessful tries, I 've realized that I needed to heat the pan more . Now when the butter is bubbly I add the potatoes and it's been like using a Teflon .All about the right heat!
Old 01-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #24
Head Chef

Barkeeper's Friend is great, but do NOT use steel wool on your pots -- it's extremely abrasive and will remove a lot of metal. Instead, use a plastic scrubber for getting off the big chunks, then use a wet paper towel with a little BKF to finish the job.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:54 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
I think stainless steel is most appropriate for stock pots or maybe saucepans and better with Aluminum clad or layered bottoms.

I think stainless steel skillets are a waste of time, patience and money unless they are used for sauces, etc. not frying. JMHO
LOL mine have been collecting dust lately... I find I use the saute pan quick pasta sauces but the skillets have seen little use.... just dont compare to the CI.... and frying is good for the CI where you end up scrubbing the stainless.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:27 PM   #26
Head Chef

I put my SS pans in the sink as soon as I done using them (while they're still hot) and run hot water in them. Let them sit for a few minutes and most of it comes right off. After that a little Barkeeper Friend and they're like new.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Deathbysoup
^
I had always heard that , that warps the pans. Is it just a cooking myth?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:07 PM   #28
Cook

I'm about ready to try to return my $100 SS pan to cuisinart. It warps when it gets hot (the bottom becomes convex) which is a NIGHTMARE on my ceramic cooktop. Plus things stick to it more than cast iron. I should have spent the extra $40 and bought the AllClad and I'm killing myself over it because it's a crappy pan.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbysoup View Post
^
I had always heard that , that warps the pans. Is it just a cooking myth?
Mine are fine. I think that happens if you use cold water, I always use very hot. There're All-Clad...maybe that makes a difference.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:15 AM   #30
Senior Cook

Don't immerse your hot pans in water or run water through them, and they should be fine.