Question about Stainless cookware?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a question about stainless steel as well and I hope someone here can help. I have a set of Cuisinart stainless stell as well and I am having real trouble with foods sticking. If I try to brown anything the food almost fuses itself to the pan. Is my heat too high? Am I not using enough oil? Thanks in advance for any help.

That isn't too terribly uncommon in my experience. I recently bought my first SS omelet pan. Meat usually doesn't stick too much if it's truly browned properly. I tried making pan fried potato cakes and almost threw it through the window. No matter what I did or how long I let them cook, they stuck. I ended up heating up a cast iron skillet of mine and pouring the oil into it.

I've found that I MUCH prefer the CI to the SS but use my SS pan when I need a really big pan or I'm making a sauce that would affect the seasoning of my CI.

I think stainless steel is most appropriate for stock pots or maybe saucepans and better with Aluminum clad or layered bottoms.

I think stainless steel skillets are a waste of time, patience and money unless they are used for sauces, etc. not frying. JMHO

I love my Cuisinart SS set but I didn't initially.
It does take some getting used to , to ensure the temperature is right and such . I found this out the hard way with my small frying pan when trying to pan-fry potatoes. Like another poster above they stuck and stuck , after a couple of unsuccessful tries, I 've realized that I needed to heat the pan more . Now when the butter is bubbly I add the potatoes and it's been like using a Teflon .All about the right heat!

Barkeeper's Friend is great, but do NOT use steel wool on your pots -- it's extremely abrasive and will remove a lot of metal. Instead, use a plastic scrubber for getting off the big chunks, then use a wet paper towel with a little BKF to finish the job.

I think stainless steel is most appropriate for stock pots or maybe saucepans and better with Aluminum clad or layered bottoms.

I think stainless steel skillets are a waste of time, patience and money unless they are used for sauces, etc. not frying. JMHO

LOL mine have been collecting dust lately... I find I use the saute pan quick pasta sauces but the skillets have seen little use.... just dont compare to the CI.... and frying is good for the CI where you end up scrubbing the stainless.

I put my SS pans in the sink as soon as I done using them (while they're still hot) and run hot water in them. Let them sit for a few minutes and most of it comes right off. After that a little Barkeeper Friend and they're like new.

I'm about ready to try to return my $100 SS pan to cuisinart. It warps when it gets hot (the bottom becomes convex) which is a NIGHTMARE on my ceramic cooktop. Plus things stick to it more than cast iron. I should have spent the extra $40 and bought the AllClad and I'm killing myself over it because it's a crappy pan.

I'm about ready to try to return my $100 SS pan to cuisinart. It warps when it gets hot (the bottom becomes convex) which is a NIGHTMARE on my ceramic cooktop. Plus things stick to it more than cast iron. I should have spent the extra $40 and bought the AllClad and I'm killing myself over it because it's a crappy pan.

Do return it, warping on the stovetop is unacceptable.

What line of Cuisinart and what size is your pan? I'm curious because I just ordered, sight unseen from Amazon, a Cuisinart saucepan for my sister who is beginning to learn to cook. I think the one I ordered was a 1.5 qt "Multi-Clad Pro" saucepan.

In case it helps while you shop for a replacement for this pan, I have AllClad and Calphalon TriPly; the Calphalon is significantly cheaper (especially if you get one of their 'try me' sizes such as the 2.5 qt shallow saucepan) and performs nearly as well. I've never experienced warping with either brand. Be aware though, that any SS pan will tend to stick more than cast iron.

For $100 crappy is unacceptable. Return it.

My impression is Cuisinart quality varies they make a number of different styles at different price points. I have two ss Cuisinart Skillets one is multiclad and one has a copper disc bottom. I bought them for a few bucks second hand craigslist and they perform nicely and compare to more expensive pans I have seen in stores. I have seen some pretty crummy looking Cuisinart though. AllClad and DeMeyere are undeniably well made but you do pay for it. If I was going to spend the $$ I would go with DeMeyere. It is great quality and stands up well to use.

Those glass top stoves just seem like trouble to me.

I have a couple Cuisinart pans but with the thick disc on the bottom. It would take alot more abuse than what could be done in a kitchen to warp those. You must have a cheapo line pan. I run water over my All Clads with no problem either. Sometimes it's necessary if your pan gets too hot or you want to clean it off real quick before you add something else to it.

BTW - Marshalls has some deals on All Clad. I finally picked up my 1 1/2 qt Windsor. :chef:

Do return it, warping on the stovetop is unacceptable.

What line of Cuisinart and what size is your pan? I'm curious because I just ordered, sight unseen from Amazon, a Cuisinart saucepan for my sister who is beginning to learn to cook. I think the one I ordered was a 1.5 qt "Multi-Clad Pro" saucepan.

In case it helps while you shop for a replacement for this pan, I have AllClad and Calphalon TriPly; the Calphalon is significantly cheaper (especially if you get one of their 'try me' sizes such as the 2.5 qt shallow saucepan) and performs nearly as well. I've never experienced warping with either brand. Be aware though, that any SS pan will tend to stick more than cast iron.

Sorry, it was a brain fart. It's a calphalon tri-ply pan.

Back
Top Bottom