Question re Baking with Glassware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cookie~

Assistant Cook
When using glassware for baking, do you need to put a cookie sheet underneath the glassware? If so, why?

Or can you just put the glassware in the oven by itself? :chef:

Depends on what you are cooking in it, but most times (as far as I know) you put things on a cookie sheet to catch any overspill. Keeps it off the oven in case it bubbles over.
I know there are plenty of casseroles I have baked in glassware with no cookie sheet under it, but that is because there was still plenty of room in the dish and no chance of bubble over.

I really appreciate your input. Thank you so much.
This may seem really dumb, but I wondered if there was a possibility that the glass would break due to the heat:ohmy:

Your oven isn't hot enough to break an oven-safe glass dish.

Now adding cold water to that really hot glass, that would cause problems ;) but I know you aren't doing that.

More of an issue with glass bakeware is sharp changes in temperature. Avoid rapid changes in temperature as they can cause the glass to break or even shatter.

At one point in time they did advertise a type of glassware that could go straight from the oven to the freezer without breaking. I forget who made it, and haven't seen it around in a long time, but I remember thinking 'what am I cooking that I need to immediately freeze it the second it is done???'.
I just couldn't imagine a legitimate usage for it...

glass pans

since i do a lot of cooking using the micro, i have a lot of glass pans. i have corning ware and various types of others. they go in oven very safely an only time did one break. was baking duck. when i opened the door , the pan shattered. felt was cool air rushing into oven. the duck fat was very very hot.

babe:LOL:

At one point in time they did advertise a type of glassware that could go straight from the oven to the freezer without breaking. I forget who made it, and haven't seen it around in a long time, but I remember thinking 'what am I cooking that I need to immediately freeze it the second it is done???'.
I just couldn't imagine a legitimate usage for it...

That was Corningware and it was directly from the freezer to the oven. Pyrex type clear glassware cannt be treataed that way.

That was Corningware and it was directly from the freezer to the oven. Pyrex type clear glassware cannt be treataed that way.

Nice memory! I think I have mostly Pyrex anyway... But going from freezer to oven with leftovers then yea I guess I can see why someone might do that. Still, my leftovers stay in the baking dish and go straight into the fridge until used the next day or couple of days.
With a family of five nothing I bake lasts long enough to need to be frozen until next usage, LOL.

Use Separate Shelf

I wouldn't put that cookie sheet right under the glass dish, I would put it on a separate rack. Metal and glass expand and contract at different rates & you don't want to pay the price. ;)

And, at the risk of looking really foolish to everyone here, I've added liquid to the glass dish in the oven - once.:ohmy: It was quite humiliating to pull the thick glass pieces out of the oven door and off the floor and out of the oven. Really put a damper on the meal and the subsequent gathering for me at that time. I was still pulling glass pieces out of that oven 2 years afterwards from that dish.

Please tell me when this changed? Because in college, I used Pyrex for cooling and heating and that's y we used it. Even now, the Pyrex I've had for a few years i put right from the freezer to the oven with a problem. I just make sure it is true Pyrex brand, not just some glassware.

I have taken frozen Pyrex and put it in the oven. I tend to put it in and then turn on the oven so the preheating helps to warm the pan slowly and I'm not putting a really cold pan into a really hot oven. I adjust cooking times to allow for the preheat. Never had a problem doing this. Only time I use a cookie sheet with glass bakeware is to catch overflow of casseroles. Cakes and brownies don't get sheets at all.

When using glassware for baking, do you need to put a cookie sheet underneath the glassware? If so, why?

Or can you just put the glassware in the oven by itself? :chef:

I only have Pyrex , and I know I cannot put it directly in the hot oven from freezer. What I have done , however, was put the cold dish in the oven, then turn on the oven to heat the dish , albeit slowly but at least it doesn't shatter. ;)

Hi been lurking around but couldn't help chime in here as the topic touches on a mild obsession I have with retro cookware and lost technology

Re: Corningware and Pyrex.

Pyrex and Corningware were both amazing products in thier versatility and durability.

There is a reason that these could be found in almost any American kitchen. They may not have been the finest tuned chef's equipment but they were incredibly useful.

they can go in freezer oven and microwave and Corningware can go on the stovetop as well (although extreem temp changes can cause breakage in any glass.

I trust no other glass bakeware (ok some Ancho Hocking)

but beware the NEW cookware carrying the namesake Pyrex and Corningware are not the same product. The new Corningware is simple stoneware and the "Pyrex" is simple soda lime glass (see wikipedia) these products are Asian made and have NOTHING to do with the original scientifically advanced glassware made by the Owens Corning Corp.

I started collecting this stuff on accident due to simple need and thrift store budget. (I lost all my fancy kitchen stuff along with my X) The combination of function and nostolgia won me over completely. It is sad that a quality product has been lost to marketing and is no longer made at all.

For a couple bucks at a thift store or flea market you can by cookware that it simply not made anymore.

Sort of like properly ground cast iron pans....

Hello and I introduce myself with a rant:chef:

Cookie sheet under glass bakeware is for boilovers. Cookie sheet under silicone bakeware is for stability. Cookie sheet under those cardboard containers that frozen foods companies use for things like salisbuy steaks and lasagna is for both!

Back
Top Bottom