"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question - skillet bowed up in middle

i am tired of using cheap cookware. walmart type skillets bow up in the middle under heat. is this simply a problem of cheap cookware or will any pan bow up like this.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

It's a problem of cheap cookware.

If possible, check out Costco. They currently have a tri-ply stainless steel set for $199. I have seen the set and bought a similar set about 10 years ago and recommend it.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
Executive Chef

It also has to do with how a person treats their cookware. I don't abuse mine. The majority of my cookware is between 20 and 30 years old, purchased from WalMart or equivalent store, and one pot and skillet, about 25 years old, still have their non-stick coating completely intact and non-stick. Why? Because I have never allowed any metal utensiles to be used in them.

I've only had one shallow fry pan warp, and that's because I made the mistake of over-heating it when I got sidetracked doing something else.

My great grandmother had two settings to her stove: Off and On 100%. She never adjusted a burner - went through one set of cookware per year, and was a terrible cook! LOL! But she made great lace tablecloths.

I'm not saying inexpensive cookware won't warp under normal use, but my experience has been that taking care of things and not pre-heating them beyond normal cooking temperature, can extend their life.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:02 AM   #4
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If possible, check out Costco. They currently have a tri-ply stainless steel set for $199. I have seen the set and bought a similar set about 10 years ago and recommend it.
I bought this set about a month and a half ago and really like it. So much so I bought one for my daughter for Christmas. Cooks nice and even and cleans up really nice too. I only have to use a low to medium heat. Would definitely recommend them.

Hubby put up a pot rack for me and they look pretty hanging up too :-)

Carol
Old 12-03-2009, 05:17 AM   #5
Executive Chef

"I only have to use a low to medium heat."; seems to be one of the biggest advantages of tri-ply.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:34 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones View Post
i am tired of using cheap cookware. walmart type skillets bow up in the middle under heat. is this simply a problem of cheap cookware or will any pan bow up like this.
I have one Calphalon non-stick skillet that I bought last year. It has never been abused but it has developed a serious bump on the bottom that keeps it from sitting flat on the stove. So, no, it is not just a problem with cheap cookware.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
I have one Calphalon non-stick skillet that I bought last year. It has never been abused but it has developed a serious bump on the bottom that keeps it from sitting flat on the stove. So, no, it is not just a problem with cheap cookware.
Trust me, the different lines of Calphalon products have very different levels of quality. Buy cheap Calphalon and you have the same issues that you do with the Walmart stuff. I speak from experience.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
Head Chef

putting a hot skillet into under much cooler water will warp them

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 04:20 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Most of the things come to an end fastly due preferring of cheap cookwares...
Old 12-08-2009, 06:44 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Trust me, the different lines of Calphalon products have very different levels of quality. Buy cheap Calphalon and you have the same issues that you do with the Walmart stuff. I speak from experience.
It may be cheaply constructed, but I would not call it inexpensive.