Question - skillet bowed up in middle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjones

Assistant Cook
i am tired of using cheap cookware. walmart type skillets bow up in the middle under heat. is this simply a problem of cheap cookware or will any pan bow up like this.

It's a problem of cheap cookware.

If possible, check out Costco. They currently have a tri-ply stainless steel set for $199. I have seen the set and bought a similar set about 10 years ago and recommend it.

It also has to do with how a person treats their cookware. I don't abuse mine. The majority of my cookware is between 20 and 30 years old, purchased from WalMart or equivalent store, and one pot and skillet, about 25 years old, still have their non-stick coating completely intact and non-stick. Why? Because I have never allowed any metal utensiles to be used in them.

I've only had one shallow fry pan warp, and that's because I made the mistake of over-heating it when I got sidetracked doing something else.

My great grandmother had two settings to her stove: Off and On 100%. She never adjusted a burner - went through one set of cookware per year, and was a terrible cook! LOL! But she made great lace tablecloths.

I'm not saying inexpensive cookware won't warp under normal use, but my experience has been that taking care of things and not pre-heating them beyond normal cooking temperature, can extend their life.

If possible, check out Costco. They currently have a tri-ply stainless steel set for $199. I have seen the set and bought a similar set about 10 years ago and recommend it.

I bought this set about a month and a half ago and really like it. So much so I bought one for my daughter for Christmas. Cooks nice and even and cleans up really nice too. I only have to use a low to medium heat. Would definitely recommend them.

Hubby put up a pot rack for me and they look pretty hanging up too :)

Carol

i am tired of using cheap cookware. walmart type skillets bow up in the middle under heat. is this simply a problem of cheap cookware or will any pan bow up like this.

I have one Calphalon non-stick skillet that I bought last year. It has never been abused but it has developed a serious bump on the bottom that keeps it from sitting flat on the stove. So, no, it is not just a problem with cheap cookware.

I have one Calphalon non-stick skillet that I bought last year. It has never been abused but it has developed a serious bump on the bottom that keeps it from sitting flat on the stove. So, no, it is not just a problem with cheap cookware.

Trust me, the different lines of Calphalon products have very different levels of quality. Buy cheap Calphalon and you have the same issues that you do with the Walmart stuff. I speak from experience. :rolleyes:

putting a hot skillet into under much cooler water will warp them

Trust me, the different lines of Calphalon products have very different levels of quality. Buy cheap Calphalon and you have the same issues that you do with the Walmart stuff. I speak from experience. :rolleyes:

It may be cheaply constructed, but I would not call it inexpensive.

It may be cheaply constructed, but I would not call it inexpensive.

Depends again on the product line. You have Calphalon Unison Nonstick, Calphalon One Infused Aodized, Calphalon Contemporary Nonstick, Calphalon Contemporary Stainless, Calphalon CS nonstick, Everyday Nonstick, Tri-Ply Copper, Tri-Ply Stainless, Simply Calphalon Nonstick, Simply Calphalon Stainless, Simply Calphalon Enamel, Kitchen Essentials Aspire, Kitchen Essentials Pro, Kitchen Essentials Hard Anodized, Cooking With Calphalon Hard Anodized Nonstick, Cooking With Calphalon Stainless, and Cooking With Calphalon Enamel.

All use differing construction and have very different prices. That's why there are so many questions here about choosing cookware... the choices are mind boggling, even from just one manufacturer.

My point was that the skillet may be cheaply made, but the price was not cheap.

I have a set of fully clad Kenmore Elite cookware from Sears, I couldn't afford allclad, so I gave this stuff a shot when it went to 1/2 price ($99 for the set including the best mix of pieces that I have seen in a set, 4 pans with lids and I use them all) I wish I had bought 2 sets, because they discontinued them shortly after. These are the best pans that I have ever used, top notch!

I have also heard good things about the Tri-ply clad Tramontina from Walmart (yes walmart carrys clad cookware!) Walmart.com: Tramontina 8-Piece 18/10 Stainless Steel TriPly-Clad Cookware Set: Kitchen & Dining

Also have a friend that really like the JCPenny set. JCPenney : cooks 13-pc. Tri-ply Cookware Set

Back
Top Bottom