"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-05-2006, 01:33 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Rachael Ray's cookware

I was grazing in Linens 'n' Things yesterday and noticed a display of Rachael Ray's new cookware line. It was an eye-catching display so I went over to see what her cookware was like.

The display was divided into two areas. One for stainless steel pots, pans and such and another showcasing annodized aluminum pieces.

I picked up several pieces of each type and was less than impressed. Both seemed almost flimsy and lacked any heft. Kind of felt like the old Mirro stuff the five-and-dimes sold years ago. And at nearly $200 for a 10-piece set for the annodized, I thought it a little expensive.

I have to explain here that I am of the camp who doesn't believe in buying sets of cookware because, often, when one buys a set, there'll be at least one piece that rarely if ever gets used. I'd much prefer to spend the same money on a very well-made piece of cookware and use it daily. But that's just me.

At any rate, Rachael has joined other celebrity chefs/cooks who have put their names on a line of cookware and I would imagine folks will buy it. I may not care for her cookware, but I do wish her well.

Anyone else out there seen her new cookware? If so, what's your evaluation?

Old 10-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #2
Master Chef

I could have written your entire post myself!! Every word.

Except that I would have not said "a little" expensive for what you were getting. They seemed very light and flimsy.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
One of my very best friends was so excited because she got a set of Calphalon and a set of good knives like I have (which, yes, the name Calphalon was on them but it was not the same) and each one of them was only $99.00 each at "some name chain cooking store" - her eyes were so bright, she was so excited and when she said "didn't I do good"???????????????.........I just had to say YES

Everyone is after a bargain or a name brand and this is often what they turn to. These same people have never held a good quality pot and let's face it - she got a whole set for LESS than what one pan of a high quality line would cost and they still "work" and "cook" and she turns out some fabulous meals! Mine, after 19 years still look new, hers, after a very short time, look like she's had them for 20 years.

Rachel will sell hers, Emeril will sell his, and Viking and All Clad will still sell theirs.

The only thing I've seen for a much lower price and a pretty good quality was the Member's Mark set from Sam's. Pretty heavy pots and pans for a lot less. I haven't "handled" Member Mark's hard anodized aluminum because I already have an really old set of Calphalon that they don't make anymore :-(

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:41 PM   #4
Head Chef

I haven't seen Rachael's line, but I have Emerilware nonstick, and there is nothing lightweight or cheap feeling about that. The 10 piece set (including 4 covers) was $350 when I bought it 4-1/2 years ago, and all 6 pieces of cookware are solid and cook marvelously. All still look like new, even the nonstick coating.

I look at All-clad and I get major sticker shock when I see a single stainless fry pan for $270 . IMO, there is no way that that pan will work better (at least not for 99.9% of us) than the several quality pans I've seen for half the price.

So Rachael's cookware may not be up to standard, but that doesn't mean that anything with the endorsement of a celebrity chef will be as cheap.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:24 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I'm a cookware freak. I have it all. You get what you pay for in real Allclad, Traditional Calphalon, Le Creuset, Falk Culinair, Mauviel etc. Heavy construction, stove to oven, even heating, let it simmer capability, etc. Disc bottoms do not cook as evenly (America's Test Kitchen proved that even with French Sitram).

One can get a good "restaurant " pan ... heavy aluminum, silver stone lined, etc. not too expensive and meant to be abused and replaced. Every kitchen should have some.

Like many here, I'm not fond of sets as I want a variety of materials and shapes for a variety of dishes.

A celebrity name means he/she gets a cut. I does not mean a good pan. THe tried and true were already out there before FoodTV made 'em famous.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I beg to differ on your opinion of not buying sets of cookware. Just don't buy sets of cookware if they contain pieces you know you will never use.

My first set of really good cookware was a 7 piece set of tri-ply stainless from Le Gourmet Chef. Now, the set contained an 8-inch frying pan, a 1 1/2 quart pot with lid, a 3 quart pot with lid, and a 5 quart dutch oven with lid. Now, can you identify any of these items as something you would not use in every day cooking?

From there, I built on the set by adding a smaller dutch oven with lid, a teflon coated frying pan, and a 6 quart saute pan with lid, all the same Le Gourmet Chef tri-ply stainless.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

i caught a clip of rr's new show, and she was using a gigantic non-stick frying pan. it looked like it was 16" or 18" in diameter.

i wonder if it was a piece in her new line of cookware?

i'm still looking around for a good deal on a huge pan, frying or saute, that is covered and can go in the oven to 500 or so.

the all clad ss 6 qt. saute that i like is big, but i'd like even bigger.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
bucky, I don't know if RR's stuff can go into the oven because parts of the handles looked like they were made of some sort of plastic-like material. Maybe heat-resistant to a point, but didn't see any written material to that effect on the display.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
i wonder if it was a piece in her new line of cookware?

Bucky if it had an orange handle then yes it was from her line
Old 10-06-2006, 02:34 PM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
i'm still looking around for a good deal on a huge pan, frying or saute, that is covered and can go in the oven to 500 or so.
Bucky, go down to the Bowery and buy yourself a piece of commercial cookward from one of the restaurant supply stores. They will definitely have the large size that will take the heat. and the price will be "right!"

You don't have to show any id cards to buy at restaurant supply stores....