Rack for baking chicken wings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Probably like most other things, deep frying cannot be beat but is usually very unhealthy, and of course very tasteful because we animals -- even humans -- evolved in a nutrient poor environment and fat is one of the most calorie laden foods available -- very desirable if you are living in a subsistence culture, hunting and gathering. Fat was the sugar of their time. Refined sugar became available only at a much later (but still prehistoric) date. Evolving in such an environment we and our genetic ancestors developed a taste for sugar -- and sweets -- and that's why fatty foods taste so good!

I've had reasonable success making "mock fried" recipes by using a minimum of fat to coat the substrate (wings, potatoes) and baking it. My mock french fries are almost as good as deep fried (to me, and IMO). Tonight I have sliced a potato into a recipe I call Potatoes Franconio (after a restaurant and old friend's family used to own, now extinct, both the recipe and my friend) where I slice a potato and shuffle the deck, then bake and baste with butter, repeat, repeat. The idea is to slice the whole potato and then alternate big and little discs to create an assembly that you can introduce fat (in this case butter) to emulate part of the experience of eating deep fried potatoes.

Sheesh! I'm beginning to sound like Chief Longweed! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom