"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 11-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Rack for baking chicken wings

I saw Martha Stewart use a wire rack on top of a baking tray when she was making baked chicken wings. Can someone recommend a rack that would fit a 9 x 13.5" baking tray? I don't know what to search for online to find this kind of item, since it's not a roasting rack. Thanks!

Old 11-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Look for a rack for a quarter sheet pan.

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Coo...ter+sheet+rack

Old 11-02-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Thanks so much, Andy. Do you think it's okay to bake the wings without the rack for tonight? Don't want to start a fire!
Old 11-02-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Andy, that's a good price for the two of them.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I use very similar racks purchases at Star Restaurant Supply (Los Angeles) for a variety of tasks not needing a whole cookie sheet size rack. The ones Star sells are super heavy duty (you couldn't bend one with your hands to save your life) and IIRC sell for a bit more but not a lot more.

KitchGod, use some torn pieces of aluminum foil and slightly crumple them, then fill the bottom of your cookie sheet or casserole dish with them. They support whatever your cooking keeping it out of the grease.

Remember to first line the whole pan with a few sheets of aluminum foil for easy celaning.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

To me, that's just another piece of equipment that will need cleaning - which Martha doesn't do, of course - and it's a pain to get cooked-on grease and skin out of those little holes. It's much easier to place the cooked wings on a paper towel-lined plate to drain after cooking them on a greased tray.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:57 PM   #7
Master Chef

A broiler pan would work.

I use a couple of old wire racks salvaged from a long lost toaster oven.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:54 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
To me, that's just another piece of equipment that will need cleaning - which Martha doesn't do, of course - and it's a pain to get cooked-on grease and skin out of those little holes. It's much easier to place the cooked wings on a paper towel-lined plate to drain after cooking them on a greased tray.

Yeah I thought it would be a pain to clean that kind of rack. I baked the wings without a rack tonight and they didn't come out so great. Skin wasn't that crispy and they stuck to the aluminum foil even though I brushed them with olive oil. Baked then at 450 for 30 minutes and flipped them half way through.

So my questions are:

Do you need a rack if you like the skin crispy? And if not how do you get the wings crispy if you don't use one.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

I spray the rack with Pam before cooking. The rack soaks in soapy water overnight after cooking. Then I scrub it with a brush. Cleaning isn't too bad but doing them on the grill is easier.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #10
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I toss my wings in olive oil to be sure they are coated well. Preheat the oven to 425F. 25 Minutes skin side down, flip and 25 minutes. I don't put them on a rack, just on the baking sheet (I don't use foil). They come out crispy, if they aren't I didn't preheat the oven well enough and I leave them in for an extra 5 minutes.

Kathleen likes her wings very crispy and dry and she is usually really happy with them.

The racks I have for the pans are temp safe to 400F per the manufacturer. I have used them but I didn't feel it was worth it.

Tags
baking, chicken, chicken wings