"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Did you see the Lodge pro-logic cast iron wok? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00063RXQK..._t3_B000MYI2ZO It's just under $50, though a lid will bump it up to low $70s. Out of 936 reviews, 86% were 5 stars. While not traditionally nonstick, it will get pretty much that way. Craig's been sort of thinking about/looking for a carbon steel wok but I bet he'll go look at this one. Best of all, USA made!
Yikes Med! That wouldn't be for me as that cast iron wok weighs 14 lbs!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:00 PM   #12
Head Chef

I love my cast iron woks from the wok shop. Light and cook like a dream. Best of all the price is well within your budget.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:10 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
I love my cast iron woks from the wok shop. Light and cook like a dream. Best of all the price is well within your budget.
Which wok shop?

Thank you, everyone!

These are all great suggestions and when I look for one for myself, I think a light cast iron or carbon steel one will be the way to go. But I know my friend just loves her nonstick cookware (I know, I know), so I guess I should probably ask her what she prefers. She may just want a cheap $20 wok that she throws out every year.

Now, how to ask her without giving myself away here? Maybe I can tell her it's something I plan to buy for her birthday in March.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:37 PM   #14
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Woks should never be nonstick

They need to get really screaming hot to cook properly
This. Absolutely.

Carbon steel is the way to go, and, properly seasoned, will be as non-stick as any Teflon pan, but will last forever.

Go to an Asian grocer. Every one I that I've been to sells them right there in the store.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:14 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Than you would not like my Le Crueset Goose roaster...it weighs more than that--I think 15 lb empty. If I were going to buy another wok, I would go with CI. I keep my upper-body in shape lifting my CI pans! And transferring my 122 lb Mom from her bed to her wheelchair. If my 85 yr. old Dad can transfer her, I better be able to do it, too.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:46 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Which wok shop?
I think this is the wok shop that PPO is talking about.
WOKSHOP.com: Woks | Cast Iron
From that website:
Quote:
Traditional cast iron woks deliver superior heat distribution and impart a classic wok "hee" flavor for the perfect stir fry every time. Less than half the weight of western style cast iron pan, these woks provide a light, versatile, and fun-to-use kitchen tool that can last a lifetime. Our traditional woks are paper thin and have been skillfully grey-cast in the southern mountains of China since 1840.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Than you would not like my Le Crueset Goose roaster...it weighs more than that--I think 15 lb empty. If I were going to buy another wok, I would go with CI. I keep my upper-body in shape lifting my CI pans! And transferring my 122 lb Mom from her bed to her wheelchair. If my 85 yr. old Dad can transfer her, I better be able to do it, too.
No, your Le Crueset Goose roaster doesn't impress me, but congratulations on your refined upper body shape. We should all strive for such perfection...

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:42 AM   #17
Master Chef

rr, if you get her a non-stick wok, that coating just might be gone before the cookies are. Seriously. I had one briefly. Never again.

Like others, I think your friend can not go wrong with a carbon steel wok. My Mom joined a Cookbook of the Month club just so she could get a free wok - which she promptly gave to me, along with the three Chinese cookbooks, and said "here, learn to use this so you can cook for us". That was in 1975. I had to give up that wok when we bought a new, glass-top stove, since it was a wok with a rounded bottom. It really isn't efficient on a glass-top, so I gave the wok to our son. Who is still using it. I swear if I ever get another stove (here or, preferably, back home in OH), it will not have a glass top...and I am reclaiming that wok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
...I keep my upper-body in shape lifting my CI pans! And transferring my 122 lb Mom from her bed to her wheelchair. If my 85 yr. old Dad can transfer her, I better be able to do it, too.
I tell people I don't need to exercise with weights, I cook with cast iron! As far as your Dad goes, he's 85, hunts, and curls. He is my hero!

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind." ~~~ Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:24 AM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

If this friend loves non-stick so much, she will not appreciate the steel wok as she wants a non-stock one.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:34 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
I think this is the wok shop that PPO is talking about.
WOKSHOP.com: Woks | Cast Iron
From that website:
Yep that's the one.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:54 AM   #20
Master Chef

I bought my Wok at the Wok shop store in San Francisco and adore it

I'd recommend the products on their website

Tags
cheap