"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-16-2007, 05:52 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Recommended stockpot size?

Never made stock before - have a 5.8 litres (6qt, I think) dutch oven.

Is that generally big enough or are those big stockpots that are 8-12qts more appropriate?

Old 01-16-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
It all depends on the quantity of your ingredients. I have 6-, 8-, 10-, 12-, and 20-quart pots and use them all even though I have only been cooking for two the last dozen or so years. Before that, cooking for 4 hungry sons, a daughter and husband kept the large pots pressed into service on a regular basis.

I used to buy chicken breasts in 40-pound boxes so, after boning, I had lots and lots of goodies for stock. That's when I used the larger pots. Unfortunately my bulk chicken source is gone, so it's back to the regular market the last couple of years. I also like to use the larger ones to make big pots of chili or stew to divide and store in the freezer.

I also use the larger ones for water-bath canning and sterilizing canning jars, etc. They all have their uses and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I make mostly chicken stock. I save bones and scraps from roasted or grilled birds as well as raw bones and scraps from when I break down whole chickens. I just bag and freeze them as they come and make stock when there's no more room in my freezer. I usually end up using a cheapo 20-quart stock pot to hold all I have accumulated. There's little reason to make small amounts of stock. It takes just as long to make 20 quarts of stock as it does to make 6.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:03 PM   #4
Master Chef

If that is all you have and do not have money for biger pot then use what you have. I have couple of 16 quarts pots. They wer pretty cheap, under $20 bucks.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:25 PM   #5
Master Chef

If you need a really large stockpot for a reasonable price, get one of those black speckled water-bath canners at the discount store. Those things last for years.
I wouldn't try to do any browning in it though...best use a skillet for that. They are really only intended for boiling things.

Just checked with DH, and he says the speckled stuff is made of porcelain coated steel.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:31 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I use a 6 qt most of the time but when I do the turkey carcass, I like to use the 8 or 12 qt.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:41 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Right, more stock makes sense - presuming you have enough leftovers saved up to make a big pot. Andy, that's a great idea to freeze the bits.

I can probably afford a decent quality bigger pot - just wasn't sure how likely I would be to use it. Maybe I should start with what I have and make a 5qt batch and see how likely I am to actually make and/or use it all.

Thanks for the ideas for the cheaper pots, too. I had my eye on this one on Amazon, but hey, if I don't need to spend the money, why bother, right?
Old 01-16-2007, 10:04 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Silver - I invested in that Calphalon stockpot years ago and believe it or not I use it more often than I thought I would.

BUT, I use a roughly $10.00 stockpot (about 20 quarts) a good bit too - it holds a brining Thanksgiving turkey GREAT in the fridge! It's just not for browning/sautéing any veggies as it's so thin it starts buckling a bit on the bottom - strictly for liquid use - good stockpot.

What you have now is a good size to start with to see how you like making your own stock.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:40 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Thanks Elfie, great to know!
Old 01-16-2007, 10:50 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Right, more stock makes sense - presuming you have enough leftovers saved up to make a big pot. Andy, that's a great idea to freeze the bits.

I can probably afford a decent quality bigger pot - just wasn't sure how likely I would be to use it. Maybe I should start with what I have and make a 5qt batch and see how likely I am to actually make and/or use it all.

Thanks for the ideas for the cheaper pots, too. I had my eye on this one on Amazon, but hey, if I don't need to spend the money, why bother, right?
Hey, Silver. I freeze the bits, too, which is a great way to make a larger bunch of stock. I have the same calphalon pot you have your eye on. Have had it for nearly 30 years. Will last a lifetime.

Before you purchase it, check out Amazon's "Friday Sales." You can almost steal some wonderful goodies.