"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-17-2004, 05:45 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 12
Relative quality of various copper cookware brands

Lately, I've been interested in other types of cookware beyond the 'usual' stainless steel and non-stick ones, and again, I'm seeking experience/info about the various brands of copper cookware out there. Is it as simple as "you get what you pay for" or is there decent quality copper available for average home cooking without costing an arm and a leg? Some of the brands I've come across is Mauviel (seems to be the most expensive), the tri-ply clad copper lines of All Clad, Calphalon and Cuisinart, and some others like Paul Revere and Tagus. The latter two seem the most affordable, but I wonder if they're simply stainless-steel pots/pans with a thin copper lining on the outside to make them look good but without the advantages of copper as a metal to cook with (i.e. the conductivity of copper that gives one superior control over the temperature)?

Any responses/input/guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Anchita

__________________

__________________
anchita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 07:29 PM   #2
 
choclatechef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,680
Re: relative quality of various copper cookware brands

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchita
Some of the brands I've come across is Mauviel (seems to be the most expensive), the tri-ply clad copper lines of All Clad, Calphalon and Cuisinart, and some others like Paul Revere and Tagus. The latter two seem the most affordable, but I wonder if they're simply stainless-steel pots/pans with a thin copper lining on the outside to make them look good but without the advantages of copper as a metal to cook with (i.e. the conductivity of copper that gives one superior control over the temperature)?
Anchita, it is my understanding that Paul Revere and Tagus are just thin copper.

All Clad and Cuisinart are ok, but Calphalon has been taking a hit on some of the sites I visit.

Mauviel is the one that many people really like -- responsive and long lasting. If it were me, I would buy the Mauviel a piece at a time as I could afford it.
__________________

__________________
choclatechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 07:32 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 12
Thanks choclatechef! I appreciate the info and your opinion.
__________________
anchita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 07:36 PM   #4
 
choclatechef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,680
You are very welcome! :D
__________________
choclatechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 07:58 PM   #5
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 12
Copper Cookware

Two brands of copper cookware which I feel are superior to Mauviel are Bourgeat copper and Falk Culinair copper. Both have 2.5mm copper layer and are lined with stainless steel for ease of cleanup. Neither one is inexpensive however.
__________________
wep896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 08:26 PM   #6
Head Chef
 
Audeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Texas
Posts: 1,871
Re: Copper Cookware

Quote:
Originally Posted by wep896
Two brands of copper cookware which I feel are superior to Mauviel are Bourgeat copper and Falk Culinair copper. Both have 2.5mm copper layer and are lined with stainless steel for ease of cleanup. Neither one is inexpensive however.
My sister has four Bourgeat pans. A really high-end pro model, as I understand it. And they look it and feel it. Heavy weight and, as my sister says, the stainless steel lining is so thick, it will not need to be re-tinned in her lifetime. Cast iron handles. Beautiful stuff. But, oooooh Bessie, these pots are pricey!!!
__________________
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is Optional.
Audeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 10:47 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
Michael in FtW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 6,592
Old copper cookware was tinned to make it non-toxic and non-reactive. It was usually a very thin tin lineing and combined with it's melting point, and the hardness of the metal, sometimes the copper pots needed to be re-tinned. That was before stainless steel came on the scene.

The reason your sister's stainless/copper will never need to be re-tinned, Audeo, is because they are lined with stainless steel - not tin. It's a harder metal, higher melting point, etc.

I would love to have a nice set of stainless/copper cookware. I just can't justify the cost.
__________________
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 11:59 AM   #8
Master Chef
 
jennyema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 9,253
Re: relative quality of various copper cookware brands

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
Mauviel is the one that many people really like -- responsive and long lasting. If it were me, I would buy the Mauviel a piece at a time as I could afford it.

A friend of mine brought me back a saucepan from Paris and I am IN LOVE with the thing!!!
__________________
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 08:12 PM   #9
Head Chef
 
Audeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Texas
Posts: 1,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Old copper cookware was tinned to make it non-toxic and non-reactive. It was usually a very thin tin lineing and combined with it's melting point, and the hardness of the metal, sometimes the copper pots needed to be re-tinned. That was before stainless steel came on the scene.

The reason your sister's stainless/copper will never need to be re-tinned, Audeo, is because they are lined with stainless steel - not tin. It's a harder metal, higher melting point, etc.

I would love to have a nice set of stainless/copper cookware. I just can't justify the cost.
Michael, I can't believe I was that stupid! DUH!!! My sister? Yes! But moi???

Thank you for being such a gent in pointing out my oversight!!!

And I am with you -- I just can't justify the cost. Might put it out there on the Christmas Wish List and see if anyone else can, though!
__________________
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is Optional.
Audeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 05:35 PM   #10
Senior Cook
 
Konditor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Northeastern Seaboard
Posts: 153
Bourgeat manufactures truly premium-grade copper cookware. I would suggest a fait-tout (slant-sided) saucepan as the first piece to purchase. Very confidently recommended.
__________________

__________________
"Where love has entered as the seasoning of food, I believe that it will please anyone." ~ Plautus: Casina
Konditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Copper Cookware mikegeorge Cookware 25 07-21-2011 03:51 PM
Care for copper cookware 2dogsmom Cookware and Accessories 8 01-14-2004 02:02 PM


» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.