"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-17-2004, 05:45 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Relative quality of various copper cookware brands

Lately, I've been interested in other types of cookware beyond the 'usual' stainless steel and non-stick ones, and again, I'm seeking experience/info about the various brands of copper cookware out there. Is it as simple as "you get what you pay for" or is there decent quality copper available for average home cooking without costing an arm and a leg? Some of the brands I've come across is Mauviel (seems to be the most expensive), the tri-ply clad copper lines of All Clad, Calphalon and Cuisinart, and some others like Paul Revere and Tagus. The latter two seem the most affordable, but I wonder if they're simply stainless-steel pots/pans with a thin copper lining on the outside to make them look good but without the advantages of copper as a metal to cook with (i.e. the conductivity of copper that gives one superior control over the temperature)?

Any responses/input/guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Anchita

Old 10-17-2004, 07:29 PM   #2

Re: relative quality of various copper cookware brands

Quote:
Originally Posted by anchita
Some of the brands I've come across is Mauviel (seems to be the most expensive), the tri-ply clad copper lines of All Clad, Calphalon and Cuisinart, and some others like Paul Revere and Tagus. The latter two seem the most affordable, but I wonder if they're simply stainless-steel pots/pans with a thin copper lining on the outside to make them look good but without the advantages of copper as a metal to cook with (i.e. the conductivity of copper that gives one superior control over the temperature)?
Anchita, it is my understanding that Paul Revere and Tagus are just thin copper.

All Clad and Cuisinart are ok, but Calphalon has been taking a hit on some of the sites I visit.

Mauviel is the one that many people really like -- responsive and long lasting. If it were me, I would buy the Mauviel a piece at a time as I could afford it.

Old 10-17-2004, 07:32 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks choclatechef! I appreciate the info and your opinion.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:36 PM   #4

You are very welcome! :D
Old 10-17-2004, 07:58 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Copper Cookware

Two brands of copper cookware which I feel are superior to Mauviel are Bourgeat copper and Falk Culinair copper. Both have 2.5mm copper layer and are lined with stainless steel for ease of cleanup. Neither one is inexpensive however.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:26 PM   #6
Head Chef

Re: Copper Cookware

Quote:
Originally Posted by wep896
Two brands of copper cookware which I feel are superior to Mauviel are Bourgeat copper and Falk Culinair copper. Both have 2.5mm copper layer and are lined with stainless steel for ease of cleanup. Neither one is inexpensive however.
My sister has four Bourgeat pans. A really high-end pro model, as I understand it. And they look it and feel it. Heavy weight and, as my sister says, the stainless steel lining is so thick, it will not need to be re-tinned in her lifetime. Cast iron handles. Beautiful stuff. But, oooooh Bessie, these pots are pricey!!!
Old 10-17-2004, 10:47 PM   #7
Master Chef

Old copper cookware was tinned to make it non-toxic and non-reactive. It was usually a very thin tin lineing and combined with it's melting point, and the hardness of the metal, sometimes the copper pots needed to be re-tinned. That was before stainless steel came on the scene.

The reason your sister's stainless/copper will never need to be re-tinned, Audeo, is because they are lined with stainless steel - not tin. It's a harder metal, higher melting point, etc.

I would love to have a nice set of stainless/copper cookware. I just can't justify the cost.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:59 AM   #8
Master Chef

Re: relative quality of various copper cookware brands

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
Mauviel is the one that many people really like -- responsive and long lasting. If it were me, I would buy the Mauviel a piece at a time as I could afford it.

A friend of mine brought me back a saucepan from Paris and I am IN LOVE with the thing!!!
Old 10-18-2004, 08:12 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Old copper cookware was tinned to make it non-toxic and non-reactive. It was usually a very thin tin lineing and combined with it's melting point, and the hardness of the metal, sometimes the copper pots needed to be re-tinned. That was before stainless steel came on the scene.

The reason your sister's stainless/copper will never need to be re-tinned, Audeo, is because they are lined with stainless steel - not tin. It's a harder metal, higher melting point, etc.

I would love to have a nice set of stainless/copper cookware. I just can't justify the cost.
Michael, I can't believe I was that stupid! DUH!!! My sister? Yes! But moi???

Thank you for being such a gent in pointing out my oversight!!!

And I am with you -- I just can't justify the cost. Might put it out there on the Christmas Wish List and see if anyone else can, though!
Old 10-20-2004, 05:35 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Bourgeat manufactures truly premium-grade copper cookware. I would suggest a fait-tout (slant-sided) saucepan as the first piece to purchase. Very confidently recommended.