Remove grease stains from a cast aluminum pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Human said:
wouldn't other people want to know the outcome? I would so I can offer further suggestions.
You are absolutely correct Human. Please feel free to post as often as you like. You did nothing wrong.

A review of what works, what doesn't and how much elbow grease is required seems to be the point of this thread. If anyone isn't interested in the progress of those of us who have this same problem, don't follow this thread.
Let's keep trying..... and keep researching....

I put one of my burnt on grease bon chef pans (acquired pre-burnt from a closing restarant sale) into my oven for 1 hour at 500 degrees (hottest it'll go before self-cleaning mode). It had a little effect on easing the scouring process, but not much... I will probably try it again, for a longer time. I do suspect that the self-cleaning process itself would damage the pans, and, besides, I won't leave my ss grid/shelves in the oven during the cleaning cycle or they'll likely turn blue & / or warp.

Harl

If it makes you feel any better Harl - I've run the oven through the self-clean cycle with my oven grills in place ... they didn't turn blue, and they didn't warp.

I have also run aluminum cookware through the self-clean cycle and it didn't warp or turn colors ... it just came out with a thin coating of ash (residue from the grease) that I easily wiped out and the pots/skillets looked brand new.

Really cheap stuff - like the thin aluminum bakeing sheets you get from WalMart/Target/K-Mart might warp - they are so cheap I just toss them every few years when they get too "gunky".

Human said:
I don't think I was reporting back after each washing, and wouldn't other people want to know the outcome? I would so I can offer further suggestions.

Human, I apologize for my harshness. I was a bit tired of washing stuff myself at the point of my reply last night. But it really really does take a lot of scrubbing and repetition of the steps and I have been in exactly your situation of trying to resurrect a pan from my mistreatment. And it does take the stainless steel or copper type of scrubbies, not the Brillo which is too fine at the first. For final polishing Brillo pads will help also. Again, I do apologize.

You can buy ammonia in the cleaning aisle of most stores. Windex for example is primarily ammonia. But you can buy the plain stuff there too.
Windex is not "primarily ammonia"; if it was people would be gasping for breath. Windex is methanol, Triton wetting agent and blue dye. The Windex D supposedly has ammonia but it is a salt of ammonia. If you want ammonia but it in the grocery store which is 3%. Want 10% go to a hardware store.

Back
Top Bottom