"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 01-14-2005, 01:57 PM   #1
Executive Chef
Revere Ware

Does anyone have this brand of pot? I try to make pea soup and the soup burned on the bottom. No one has responded to my question on Soup section so I assume they don't know. The fact that copper heats quickly do any of you feel that is why this happened. It does it only with the pea soup. It does it also when I have potato soup. I love these ingredients and don't want to quite making them. Guess I'll have to buy different brand. What would you suggest? Appreciate a response.

In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
Master Chef
ITK, how hot did you have your burner?

-A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand
PA Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:09 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer
And did you stir it often?
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:31 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
thicker "drier" soups will tend to do that, even on low heat if not stirred very often. tomato sauces do the same thing, but are more forgiving due to their higher water content. pea soup is much thicker and not as watery, so i guess it would burn faster, if not stirred frequently.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:08 PM   #5
Executive Chef
I figured that. It is the cook's fault. I had it on low so I thought would heat slowly but as you said maybe stirring is the answer. I just can't get by with anything. Cleaning it was really bad. Seeing so much on the bottom made me wonder if not just opening can would have been better. Many times I think about it but they always know better. When they once know how you cook you can't fool em. Thanks for your input. I trust you all are good cooks. May you never experience burnt soup.
In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 11:18 PM   #6
Sous Chef
One problem with Revere and other stainless steel pans is that once you scorch something in them, you will always have a 'hot spot'. You will continue to burn things in that pan, and always in the same spot!

You mentioned copper. The copper on Revereware is not thick enough to be functional. It is purely decorative. Your best bet is to pitch the pan and buy something heavier. I suggest copper, aluminum or tri-ply.
Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 12:52 AM   #7
Master Chef
If your Reverware is like the stuff I grew up with (1950's vintage) you're going to have problems because the metal is so thin. Stainless steel is a very poor conductor of heat, and as toomanydawgs noted - the copper layer is too thin to sufficiently diffuse the heat. But, scorching something doesn't create hot spots - things continue to scorch in the same spot because that is where the hot spot is. Anyway, you can use it, with low heat and frequent stirring - the thicker it gets, the more frequent the stirring.

Cookware today compensates for this problem by layering aluminum between an inner and outer layer of stainless (such as All-Clad) - or by adding a thick layer of aluminum (an encapsulated disk) on the bottom of the pan.

In the olden days (1950-1970ish) they had things called heat diffusers or flame tamers ... which back then were just a thick disk of asbestor with a center core of wire mesh. I haven't seen those in years. If you ever took chemistry you probably used one - that wire mesh thing with the white stuff on it that went under a flask on a ring-stand over a bunsen burner.

Anyway - there are newer versions available today for gas and electric stovetops. They are disks of either aluminum, steel, or cast iron. Cooking.com has a "flame tamer" made of aluminum especially for gas stoves ( http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=190609 ) and Chef's Catalog has "burner plates" made of cast iron for electric stoves ( http://www.chefscatalog.com/store/ca...d=cprod1859787 ). I would suggest also going to Google.com and doing a search on "diffuser burner plate", "flame tamer", and "heat diffuser" to check out the other sources, brands, materails and options.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 08:42 AM   #8
Master Chef
I grew up on Revere ware and would never have parted with it except for the fact that it doesn't work on smooth top electric ranges (not flat enough on the bottom). I doubt the burning problem was because of the pan itself. This soup singes very easily once it thickens and has to be watched like a hawk. It would have happened with any other kind of pan. Revere is an old standby, and we loved it. When I bought my new stove, my Revere didn't go into retirement at all ... I noticed a neighbor (new freind, we'd just moved here) continually using her one Revere pan over all her other pans on her gas range, and found a way to tactfully ask her if she wanted mine. If you look at old cooking shows (yes, even old Julia's), before the days of people having to have top of the line this and restaurant quality that, you'll almost always see at least one Revere ware pot or pan come out.

I will say, though, that I don't mind being released from the copper-cleaning chore!!!!
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 09:01 AM   #9
Senior Cook
As previously said, the thicker the soup, the easier it will scorch. For thick/dry soups and stews, you'll need the lowest settings on your stove (and frequent stirring) and for the very thick ones, you'll need either a thick bottomed pot or a diffuser (again, as previously mentioned).
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 04:12 PM   #10
Master Chef
When it comes to re-heating these soups, you cannot beat a microwave oven.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote