"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-19-2008, 09:20 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

That tells it what time to start, not what time to be finished.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:59 PM   #12
Master Chef

Time to be finished - cooking time = start time

I don't see the problem ...

My cooker doesn't come on when plugged in - you have to push a button ... but if someone had a cheap one that comes on when plugged in ... I don't see why using a timer wouldn't work.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:51 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I guess you can spend the time looking for a gadget to turn your rice cooker on or you can spend a little extra and have it built in.

The more expensive units will generally give you a better, more even result. (Generally)

There are many dishes you can make with a rice cooker. http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Rice-.../dp/1558322027

I am planning on buying this unit. Still doing a little research but I will probably end up with it.

Good luck, let us know what you get.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:51 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAchef View Post
I guess you can spend the time looking for a gadget to turn your rice cooker on or you can spend a little extra and have it built in.

The more expensive units will generally give you a better, more even result. (Generally)

There are many dishes you can make with a rice cooker. http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Rice-.../dp/1558322027

I am planning on buying this unit. Still doing a little research but I will probably end up with it.

Good luck, let us know what you get.
It just seems like $220 is a lot to pay for something I currently do for free - ya know? I mean I'm sure the cooker can do it better than I currently do it, but can it really cook my rice $220 better? (shrug) Maybe I just need a little bit of time to get used to that kinda sticker. :)
Old 08-20-2008, 07:15 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Time to be finished - cooking time = start time

I don't see the problem ...

My cooker doesn't come on when plugged in - you have to push a button ... but if someone had a cheap one that comes on when plugged in ... I don't see why using a timer wouldn't work.
I do not know the exact amount of time it takes to cook so I would not know the amount of time to set it for. The expensive ones have all sorts of things built into the time such as a soak period which gets you better tasting rice. I have no idea how long the soak period is or how long it takes to cook 4 cups or brown rice vs 2 cups of white vs 6 cups of arborio vs 1 cup of porridge vs...well you get the idea. All of these variables change the amount of time it cooks for in order to get it perfect.

I am not saying that the timer method will not work. You get probably get it close to where you want after experimenting a bit. With my unit though, it will be done the minute I tell it to be done. Is that worth the extra hundred dollars? Probably not, but that feature combined with all the other features plus the fact that mine makes the best tasting rice by far that I have ever made and does it consistently every time no matter what makes it worth it for me. I got mine through my credit card reward points so I did not actually shell out the $ and would not have, but now that I have it I do think that for me it is worth it and when the time comes for a new one I will not hesitate to spend a small fortune to get one like the one I have now.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:16 AM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherifffruitfly View Post
but can it really cook my rice $220 better?
IMO it really depends on how often you cook rice. If you make rice once a month then it probably is not worth it. If you make rice 3 times a week then maybe it is.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:12 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherifffruitfly View Post
It just seems like $220 is a lot to pay for something I currently do for free - ya know? I mean I'm sure the cooker can do it better than I currently do it, but can it really cook my rice $220 better? (shrug) Maybe I just need a little bit of time to get used to that kinda sticker. :)
It may be, but I seemed to be having too many pots on the stove at one time. This way I have one less thing to worry about.

Its like saying "Hey, I can cook just fine with a $5 pan" or "I can cut a carrot with a $2 knife" Yes you can but sometimes you want to spoil yourself and get something nice.

It is not for everyone.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #18
Sous Chef

i used to really like the rice from the mcirowave! i like the oven, too !
Old 08-20-2008, 03:12 PM   #19
Master Chef

The bottom line is, like with any tool or gadget, if you like quality items, desire them, can afford them, and makes you happy, then spend the extra bucks.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

I have a Zojirushi rice cooker. It is one of the best kitchen appliances that I own. I've had it for a couple years and I use it all the time. Every single time it cooks perfect rice. It is about $170...and worth every penny.