"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Rimless crepe pan for stovetop use?

I'm looking for a stovetop crepe pan, but haven't been able to find what I'm looking for, either at the typical Sur La Table, Williams Sonoma, etc., or by googling. I don't want something with a thin rim or a sloping rim; I want one with _no_ rim at all, so I can get underneath the crepe with a long flat spatula. Ideally, it would also be very slightly convex.

I guess what I'm looking for is like the top part of a commercial crepe maker, but without the heating element underneath, so I can put it on my stove. I don't have the room or budget for a crepe maker :)

I found one reference to a thing called a "bilig"

chefcrepe.com/history-about-crepes.htm?sm=1

[sorry; new member, not allowed to post URLs :(] and googling for images of a "bilig":

images.google.com/images?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=biligs&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

seems to return the right thing, but I can't seem to find out how/where to buy one (at least not in the U.S.).

Help? Thanks!

Old 10-05-2008, 05:02 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Nordic Ware makes what you are looking for. Sold by Kitchen Emporium.com

Stovetop Crepe Maker 03450

Old 10-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
Nordic Ware makes what you are looking for. Sold by Kitchen Emporium.com
Thanks! This looks interesting. Have you used one of these? Do they work well?

Not to get picky, , but ideally I was looking for something bigger. I'm currently using a 12" round pan (with a rim, unfortunately), which is just about the right size for my appetite :).

But it's good to know that something like this exists. I must just have been searching with the wrong words.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Oooh. I was just browsing other threads, and I saw this:

cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=190609

It's a heat diffuser for preventing hotspots, but it's got a non-stick coating, and it's 11" in diameter. Amusingly, the first review for it says, "The best griddle ever. I rarely use this for its intended purpose. I use it for pancakes, tortillas, crepes and grilled sandwiches. It is a wonderful, very compact and perfectly flat griddle."

It's roughly the same price as the crepe maker linked above, and there's no dipping tray, or even a handle, but it is 2" larger. Decisions, decisions . . . . :)
Old 10-05-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
Executive Chef

well, I'd go with the "griddle" then...more what you're looking for. TO answer your question, no, I use a cast iron spider for my crepe pan. It has very low sides, but I am making 9" crepes in an 11" pan so it works for me.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:12 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Hmm. Someone else suggested amazon, and sure enough, they have a rimless crepe pan!

amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000UI28XY

$90, though :(

I guess if it does the job, it's cheaper than buying 3 things that don't work and then throwing them in the back of the cupboard, never to be seen or used again. Free shipping, no tax--perhaps this is what I should do. Still, $90 is a lot to spend. There are plenty of rimmed pans for a lot less.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

I bought one by Cuisinox at the website best-cookware-set.com I really like it, I use it to fry my eggs & make french toast too.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:51 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Here's a cast iron version. I always found crepes easy to flip just using my fingers or tongs. Are you having trouble getting them out of the pan?

Old 10-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Jeelinkz,

Thanks!

I have to confess that some of this is just my "fantasy kitchen" mindset. Some people play fantasy baseball; I like to imagine that I can cook. When I go to creperies, I see the big, flat crepe griddles and the long, flat spatulas. I see the way the guys can get a huge crepe sorta rolled up on the spatula to get them turned over. I just want to do it the same way :)

That picture you posted is _almost_ what I'm looking for, but even that tiny rim could get in the way of getting underneath an edge-to-edge crepe. At least for someone as clumsy as I am. I also see that it's 49.99 :(.

Interesting; I searched Le Creuset's website multiple times before posting here, but I never saw that one on the U.S. website. Is it available only in Europe? I don't even see the Black Satin line here in the U.S.

Here's a picture of the one I found at Amazon:

For $90 I'm thinking of just pulling the trigger and wishing myself a Merry Christmas a bit early.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:15 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkan View Post
Jeelinkz,

Thanks!

I have to confess that some of this is just my "fantasy kitchen" mindset. Some people play fantasy baseball; I like to imagine that I can cook. When I go to creperies, I see the big, flat crepe griddles and the long, flat spatulas. I see the way the guys can get a huge crepe sorta rolled up on the spatula to get them turned over. I just want to do it the same way :)

That picture you posted is _almost_ what I'm looking for, but even that tiny rim could get in the way of getting underneath an edge-to-edge crepe. At least for someone as clumsy as I am. I also see that it's 49.99 :(.

Interesting; I searched Le Creuset's website multiple times before posting here, but I never saw that one on the U.S. website. Is it available only in Europe? I don't even see the Black Satin line here in the U.S.

Here's a picture of the one I found at Amazon:

For $90 I'm thinking of just pulling the trigger and wishing myself a Merry Christmas a bit early.

If you want to do it using the method you describe, i agree you have get the pan pictured. Go for it. Who deserves a gift more than you?