"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12
Rissotto pan

Hi, I own several le cresuet pots, :several dutch oven sizes---both round and oval, largest being 7 1/4 round & smallest being oval 2 3/4. I also have 2 buffet pots & the lid says "30". MY question to you all.......do I NEED a "rissotto" pot to make that dish, or can I use what I have? ---------> I'm having terrible buyers remorse. THANKS for any/all input.

__________________

babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,978
You don't need a risotto pot or even a LeCrueset pot to make risotto. Any saucepan, Dutch oven or French oven will do the trick. You could make it in a frying pan.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
+1 Andy. I have a hard enough time fighting my way through the pots and pans enough as it is, much less to pull out a rissoto pan I'd use 3 times a year.

Any pan without a hole in the bottom will work.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,763
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
+1 Andy. I have a hard enough time fighting my way through the pots and pans enough as it is, much less to pull out a rissoto pan I'd use 3 times a year.

Any pan without a hole in the bottom will work.
I make risotto quite a number more than three times a year, but I couldn't imagine worrying about a special pan to make it in! Depending upon how many folks I'm feeding, that's the size sauce pan I use. I often make it just for the two of us. Who said it's only for "company?"
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
...ok, maybe 5 times
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 45,978
Wait a minute. Are you looking for a way to justify the purchase of a risotto pan?

If so:

You must have a proper risotto pan to prepare risotto worth eating. If you use any other pan, the risotto will be trash and the risotto police will be coming for you.

I hope that works for you.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Wait a minute. Are you looking for a way to justify the purchase of a risotto pan?

If so:

You must have a proper risotto pan to prepare risotto worth eating. If you use any other pan, the risotto will be trash and the risotto police will be coming for you.

I hope that works for you.
Awesome answer Andy. Your wife must be a very happy woman. BTW, do I need a special pair of shoes to do my grocery shopping because I already have a lot of shoes but I wouldn't want the shopping to come out wrong ....
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Awesome answer Andy. Your wife must be a very happy woman. BTW, do I need a special pair of shoes to do my grocery shopping because I already have a lot of shoes but I wouldn't want the shopping to come out wrong ....
I was dumb enough to ask women maybe 2-3 times "Why do you need all those shoes?"

Now, I just ignore it....it's like a part of nature, or something like that.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I was dumb enough to ask women maybe 2-3 times "Why do you need all those shoes?"

Now, I just ignore it....it's like a part of nature, or something like that.
Honestly, I don't get it either. The truth is I am barefoot 97% of the time (for real) but shoes still call to me. Even from the internet.
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:28 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,655
a good heavy large saucepan is ideal. not too wide:you want the rice to absorb the broth not the air. Many risotto pans are just high saute pans, great for lots of things but not really risotto.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:30 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 12
Rissotto pan

Thanks 4 the input. I think I Wastrying to justify having this "particular" pot. ----->The women @ the outlet won't like to see me coming, don't know if they work on commision or not.........but you are ALL right.....I Don't "need" it. It goes back tomorrow!!
babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #12
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
Thanks 4 the input. I think I Wastrying to justify having this "particular" pot. ----->The women @ the outlet won't like to see me coming, don't know if they work on commision or not.........but you are ALL right.....I Don't "need" it. It goes back tomorrow!!
WAIT!!!!

If you’ve already got it…………..may as well use it.

Think of all the gas you’re going to waste driving back to the store to return it. All that pollution is so not Earth friendly!
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:57 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,923
Go to your room, keltin.

Do you know how unusual it is for a "cooking person" to return a piece of cookware?

Congratulations, babs!
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:20 PM   #14
Head Chef
 
keltin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Down South in Alabama
Posts: 2,285
Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Go to your room, keltin.

Awwwwwww....but, but.......awwwwwww...............*trods off*
keltin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 10:08 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 30
I make it in a pressure cooker now. 2 minutes of sauteeing, 6 minutes of pressure cooking on high, a moment or two of tweaking and integrating with the the protein or pumpkin or whatever.
__________________

ducdebrabant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×