"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Rissotto pan

Hi, I own several le cresuet pots, :several dutch oven sizes---both round and oval, largest being 7 1/4 round & smallest being oval 2 3/4. I also have 2 buffet pots & the lid says "30". MY question to you all.......do I NEED a "rissotto" pot to make that dish, or can I use what I have? ---------> I'm having terrible buyers remorse. THANKS for any/all input.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

You don't need a risotto pot or even a LeCrueset pot to make risotto. Any saucepan, Dutch oven or French oven will do the trick. You could make it in a frying pan.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
Executive Chef

+1 Andy. I have a hard enough time fighting my way through the pots and pans enough as it is, much less to pull out a rissoto pan I'd use 3 times a year.

Any pan without a hole in the bottom will work.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
+1 Andy. I have a hard enough time fighting my way through the pots and pans enough as it is, much less to pull out a rissoto pan I'd use 3 times a year.

Any pan without a hole in the bottom will work.
I make risotto quite a number more than three times a year, but I couldn't imagine worrying about a special pan to make it in! Depending upon how many folks I'm feeding, that's the size sauce pan I use. I often make it just for the two of us. Who said it's only for "company?"
Old 09-27-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
Executive Chef

...ok, maybe 5 times
Old 09-27-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Wait a minute. Are you looking for a way to justify the purchase of a risotto pan?

If so:

You must have a proper risotto pan to prepare risotto worth eating. If you use any other pan, the risotto will be trash and the risotto police will be coming for you.

I hope that works for you.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Wait a minute. Are you looking for a way to justify the purchase of a risotto pan?

If so:

You must have a proper risotto pan to prepare risotto worth eating. If you use any other pan, the risotto will be trash and the risotto police will be coming for you.

I hope that works for you.
Awesome answer Andy. Your wife must be a very happy woman. BTW, do I need a special pair of shoes to do my grocery shopping because I already have a lot of shoes but I wouldn't want the shopping to come out wrong ....
Old 09-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Awesome answer Andy. Your wife must be a very happy woman. BTW, do I need a special pair of shoes to do my grocery shopping because I already have a lot of shoes but I wouldn't want the shopping to come out wrong ....
I was dumb enough to ask women maybe 2-3 times "Why do you need all those shoes?"

Now, I just ignore it....it's like a part of nature, or something like that.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I was dumb enough to ask women maybe 2-3 times "Why do you need all those shoes?"

Now, I just ignore it....it's like a part of nature, or something like that.
Honestly, I don't get it either. The truth is I am barefoot 97% of the time (for real) but shoes still call to me. Even from the internet.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:28 PM   #10
Executive Chef

a good heavy large saucepan is ideal. not too wide:you want the rice to absorb the broth not the air. Many risotto pans are just high saute pans, great for lots of things but not really risotto.