Romertopf stoneware questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolgirl

Senior Cook
I went to a yard sale today and bought an oval stoneware bowl for a $1. The lady said she had the lid but it was broke ,would I want it. I said I did and when glued back it would look almost like new. The problem is what type of glue should I use to keep it safe to cook in. This says Romertopf on the lid and says germany on the bottom of the bowl. I am not familiar with the type it is and really don't know what to cook in here. My sister in law said I am not suppose to put it in soapy water (which I had already done) I don't know if I put this in the right section or not, but the safety of using the glue was the main reason for posting it here. :ermm:

schoolgirl - since your Römertopf is basically an unglazed clay baking dish, I'm not aware of any food safe "glue" that could repair the lid. You might be able to order a replacement lid for it by going to their website and sending an email to them via their "contact us" link.

Callisto in NC - click here for pictures and descriptions.

Sorry for being so long about replying-been gone all day.
Michael, I really don't want to put that much money in a lid.I didn't see any pans like the one I have. I wondered if I could put foil over the bowl and then put the lid over that. The break is on the corner, about a 3 inch chunk. If I can't cook in it maybe there will be something I can use it for.
Callisto- I will try to post a picture soon. Since I am not familiar with this type of cookware I really don't know what to call it.

Just put foil over only enough of the cover to close the gap caused by the broken corner. Roemertopfs bottoms and tops are supposed to be soaked in water for about 1/2 hour before being used for baking. They're quite good for making things like lamb shanks and shouldn't be used in preheated ovens. You should be able to find directions for use, recipes, and maintenance on the web. Some portion of the topf's interior is usually glazed.

You may have to soak it several times to get rid of any soap taste you put in it by washing it with soap and water. That is a real NO NO. The most you should do is rinse it and possibly scrub it with a little salt and then rinse throughly.

Justplainbill, that is an idea that I will try. I didn't even think about partially covering the pan with foil.:ermm:
Dave, I learned that (after I had washed it) from my sister-in-law. She said her daughter had told her. I had never seen one of these until buying it.I will have to check on the internet for any type of recipes. I'm not sure this is going to be much use to me.
It sounds like you clean this a lot like the cast iron skillets. I don't ever put soap on them either. Oh well, I only have a $1. in it.

If you do a search for clay pot recipes you will find lots of ideas! You have inspired me to use mine at some point this week!

Schoolgirl:

Cooking in clay is thousands of years old, and very tasty. In modern oven, you soak both top and bottom for 15 min in cold water, place the food in, cover it and put in a cold oven. Usually you don't need to add moisture. You cook it at a higher temperature, but for a shorter time. Roasts and chicken, whole or parts, come out juicy, tender and delish. Go to romertopf.com for recipe ideas and cooking times. Any questions, please ask any of us. That's why we're all here, to learn from one another.

"The most affectionate creature on earth is a wet dog". - Ambrose Bierce

JPBill
I have done baking in it once with some success. JoeV posted a very learned article on baking bread in clay in which you heat both the top and bottom in the oven, then put in the raised liaf and cover it. Wish I could find it again. If you do, please let me know. We were just takling about it this morning.

You have inspired me to look up some recipes and try this baking dish out.I'm trying to remember what is in the freezer to cook. The only thing I can think of is some pork ribs. I am going to put the foil only on the end of the dish and use the lid .This is a whole new experience for me. And yes, Dave, I always know where to ask questions and get answers. Thanks:)

After soaking the clay, to prevent sticking I've painted the interior of the topf with melted solid shortening, then I've placed the bread dough in the greased topf for the final rise. Baking usually runs about 1 hour covered at 375F. I'll look for JV's post.

Back
Top Bottom