"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Ruhru cookware

Hello!
I have been looking for a long-lasting non-stick frying pan for cooking fried rice or eggs and come across this German brand name Ruhru.

It claims that the cookwares are made of aluminium with the nano diamond coating, topped with the nano titanium coating which make the cookware non-stick and long-lasting.

I know the words are fancy but they provide ten years guarantee and it is a German brand, claiming that they have passed several strict tests in the country. One frying pan (20cm) costs around 150 US dollars.

Has anyone ever heard about the brand or anything about those non-stick materials? Thanks!

Old 08-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Never heard of them. Every once in a while there is some new miracle non-stick pan that coincidentally costs a ton of money. just not necessary.

Other options:
Carbon steel wok - about $20
Pre-seasoned 12 Inch cast iron skillet - about $20
Inexpensive teflon coated aluminum skillets - Set of two about $20

Four pans for $60, saving $90 - priceless.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
Master Chef

Andy is right. About a thousand years back, when I was much younger, I was watching an info-mercial about a new, super tough, non-stick pan that would make my world easier. The price for a set of this wonderous collection was said to be a bargain at $250 U.S. I bought the set. I mean, they showed the pan inner surface being scrubbed with sandpaper, and steel wool. This stuff had to be good.

Withing the first year, and me not abusing the pans, a handle broke right off on the 10 inch frying pan, rendering it useless. The remaining pots, and smaller pans started loosing their teflon coating in short order, again with me following the manufacturer's instructions, and using nylon and wooden cooking tools.

My kitchen pots and pans are now either stainless steel, or cast iron. I use the cast iron pans more than anything else. They are just as non-stick as any non-tick pans I've ever used. And they will last longer than I will on this planet. Two of my kids are eyeing them for when I move on past mortality (hopefully not until another 35 to 40 years has passed me by). They've made it clear that if I ever feel like I need to get rid of them, the cast iron will have a home. Some of those pans are older than I am, and they still work like new.

Don't fall for the gimicks, no matter what country they come from. Just like everywhere else, Germany has its fair share of shysters. The country is knows for quality. But then, so is Japan.

Remember the Ginsu knives? They were made in the U.S. and were cheap, poorly constructed knives. The name was chosen because it sounded Japanese.

That old addage still rings true. "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is."

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the sharing! Rig, I guess I am pretty weak at the gimmicks sometimes, that's why I've stopped, thought about it and asked before I acted this time. Getting a bit smarter I guess ;) .

Thanks! I guess I just won't give that pan a try :p
Old 08-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Take a few minutes to read through our cookware forum. There are lots of good recommendations for quality cookware that won't break the bank.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I was thinkin' that the name oughta be spelled Ruh-ro and pronounced as if it was Scooby Doo or Astro (George Jetson's dog) sayin' it.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Head Chef

New poster, suggesting a new miracle product. No other introduction.

I'm thinking I would purchase of these immediately if I were cooking up a batch of spam.

Tags
cookware