Rust in my cast iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whole milk

Senior Cook
I just pulled out my cast iron skillet and found RUST. Water got on it somehow and after scrubbing and scrubbing I still couldn't get it out. Any suggestions? Also, IF there's a little left over is that toxic to the body?

The Salt Method for Cleaning Cast Iron:
Using a thick paste of warm vegetable oil and salt does a great job of bringing rusty cast-iron pots and pans back to life. Following are the step to follow:
  1. Rub the cast-iron pan with fine steel wool.
  2. Wipe out loose dirt and rust with a cloth. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until the pan is largely cleared of rust.
  3. Place the pan on the burner of your stove over medium-low heat. Add enough vegetable oil to coat the pan bottom heavily. Heat for 5 minutes or until the handle is too hot to touch. turn off the heat.
  4. Depending on the size of your cast-iron pan, add approximately 2 to 4 tablespoons coarse salt to form a paste. The salt acts as an abrasive to gently srub any goop off the surface. Wearing a glove, scrub with a thick wad of paper towels, steadying the pan with a pot holder, scrub the pan, [SIZE=-1]concentrating on the rusted spots but covering all surfaces with the oil and salt mixture. Add more salt or oil as needed. [/SIZE]
  5. [SIZE=-1]Wash the pan with hot water and dish washing soap. [/SIZE]Rinse the pan thoroughly in hot water, wipe dry, and then coat with a thin film of vegetable oil, wiping off any excess oil with additional paper towels.
To maintain your cast-iron pan after cooking in it, using coarse salt and a paper towel, scrub the pan. Dump the salt out and rinse the cast-iron pan in cold water. Wipe dry with a paper towel (if you still get a brown stain on the paper towel, dump more salt in and repeat the process), and then wipe a thin film of olive oil in the pan.

Cast Iron Pans, Using Salt for Cleaning Cast Iron, Techniques for Restoring an old Cast-Iron Skillet

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom