"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-18-2015, 11:23 AM   #41
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
If it is raised in the middle, wouldn't it work to put it on a hard surface, right side up, and pound the middle? With a hard, flat surface underneath, it shouldn't get "saggy bottomed" from the pounding.
Sure. My point was it will surely try to sag again and a little raise in the middle will not effect its use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Yes, it was much easier than I thought. It's not rocking, so it's good enough. If it droops again I'll repeat the process. It doesn't take long.
Got it. Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Why? tenspeed is happy with the results she got and she can live with it. I have to assume she doesn't want to push her luck. Perfection isn't all it is cracked up to be.
Yea, but aspiring for perfection can lead to accomplishments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
She??? Cooking is far too important of a job to leave to a woman! All of my wife's friends agree with me, and they wish their husbands shared my opinion.
I too, do ALL the cooking in our house. My wife will occasionally make cookies or something like that. But in our home and in the home I grew up in, it was the father and husband that was the primary cook.
I watch many women working, washing clothes, cleaning the house and doing many other chores, just to have to cook dinner while their husband sits on their rear ends. Nope, not around here.
For the record, my wife cuts the grass.
__________________

__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #42
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,406
My dad was a chef and my mom was a great cook. She did all the cooking at home except for the grilling. Dad never got involved in the kitchen.

I do all the cooking and some of the baking at home. SO takes care of the rest of the house and is perfectly capable of cooking great meals. Before she retired, she made a living managing others' households for them. That included cooking dinners for for the family.

My daughter and SIL both cook.

Cooking used to be considered "women's work" in the home. Fifty years ago, men who cooked had their masculinity questioned. Boy have times changed!

The point of all this is that it doesn't matter who's cooking. Whatever arrangement works for you is just fine.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #43
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,897
For all of my adult life I've done everything in the kitchen. It's only for the last 7 years have I ever had any help in the kitchen, and the difference in my love of cooking is astounding. I now understand what I was missing all those years. The truth is that nobody should be sitting on their butts waiting to be served a meal. If your spouse doesn't cook, then they should be at least helping in some way. If you don't want anyone else underfoot, the least they can do is let you sit down when the meal is over and do the clean up.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #44
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
My dad was a chef and my mom was a great cook. She did all the cooking at home except for the grilling. Dad never got involved in the kitchen.
I do all the cooking and some of the baking at home. SO takes care of the rest of the house and is perfectly capable of cooking great meals. Before she retired, she made a living managing others' households for them. That included cooking dinners for for the family.
My daughter and SIL both cook.
Cooking used to be considered "women's work" in the home. Fifty years ago, men who cooked had their masculinity questioned. Boy have times changed!
The point of all this is that it doesn't matter who's cooking. Whatever arrangement works for you is just fine.
I guess it could be a ethnic thing as my father was never chastised or looked down upon because he was a very good cook. In fact he was always being asked to do special dinners and always provided bar food at the local tavern.
So was his father.
In the Hispanic community, males cooking meals is the norm. At least it has been for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
For all of my adult life I've done everything in the kitchen. It's only for the last 7 years have I ever had any help in the kitchen, and the difference in my love of cooking is astounding. I now understand what I was missing all those years. The truth is that nobody should be sitting on their butts waiting to be served a meal. If your spouse doesn't cook, then they should be at least helping in some way. If you don't want anyone else underfoot, the least they can do is let you sit down when the meal is over and do the clean up.
Well said Kayelle.
My comments regarding lazy ass men is something I see in both of my BIL's.
Both do absolutely nothing to help their wives, do nothing to help themselves and sit there waiting on the next feeding.
The only thing they like to do is argue politics and complain about the president. Funny how its these types that do the most complaining.
Okay, rant over.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #45
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I guess it could be a ethnic thing as my father was never chastised or looked down upon because he was a very good cook. In fact he was always being asked to do special dinners and always provided bar food at the local tavern.
So was his father.
In the Hispanic community, males cooking meals is the norm. At least it has been for me.
My dad couldn't boil water. His forte was taking a dish that my mother had cooked and plated for him and heating it in the microwave - even that was a bit of challenge for him. On the other hand, my grandfather is the one who taught my mother's mother how to cook after they were married. So there were men (not professionals) even back pre 1920 who learned to cook.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,086
My first husband was a professional chef. A graduate of three culinary European schools. We had a hard and fast rule. Who ever was not in the kitchen could not complain or make any unpleasant remarks. Sit down and eat the meal. If it was good, then let the cook know. If not, keep your mouth shut. Neither one of us ever broke that rule. On occasion I would ask for his advice. But unless I asked, he never offered any.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.