"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 04-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Saggy bottom saute pan

I couldn't decide whether my saute pan is convex or concave, as it depends upon your perspective, so I'm going with the unambiguous saggy bottom.

I have a 12" anodized Calphalon saute pan, which has had regular use over the last 15 years. When placed on a flat surface, it rests on the center, and the periphery of the pan is about 3/16" off the surface. It's pretty uniform, and not warped. It won't stay level on the stove.

We have had a gas cooktop for the last 5 years (used to have electric), and it seems to have developed this since the change. I'm careful not to pour liquid in too quickly when I deglaze the pan.

Is there anything that can be done so make the pan flat again, or do I just need to replace it when I can't stand a rocking pan any longer? I've thought about putting it under the car with a hydraulic jack on top of it to put a ton or so of force on it, but not sure how I could control how much it flattens the pan, assuming it's enough force to straighten it.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:26 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I couldn't decide whether my saute pan is convex or concave, as it depends upon your perspective, so I'm going with the unambiguous saggy bottom.

I have a 12" anodized Calphalon saute pan, which has had regular use over the last 15 years. When placed on a flat surface, it rests on the center, and the periphery of the pan is about 3/16" off the surface. It's pretty uniform, and not warped. It won't stay level on the stove.

We have had a gas cooktop for the last 5 years (used to have electric), and it seems to have developed this since the change. I'm careful not to pour liquid in too quickly when I deglaze the pan.

Is there anything that can be done so make the pan flat again, or do I just need to replace it when I can't stand a rocking pan any longer? I've thought about putting it under the car with a hydraulic jack on top of it to put a ton or so of force on it, but not sure how I could control how much it flattens the pan, assuming it's enough force to straighten it.
I'm inclined to think it's time to retire it. After all, after 15 years it doesn't owe you anything. Do you have a nice relative who will pick up on hints about an early birthday present?

The warping is most likely to be due to heat. Gas jets get very hot - hotter I find than electric hotplates although this may only be the electric hotplates that I've had dealings with.

It's just occurred to me. Would it be feasible to get hold of a wok ring so the pan sits still over the burner? It would rather depend on the design of the pan supports as to whether this idea would work.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

If you have a wood workbench or similar, place the pan face down on the surface near the edge so the handle is off in mid-air so the entire pan rim is on the bench surface.

Using a rubber mallet or a hammer and a block of wood, pound the hump down level. You should be able to do this with no harm to the pan. Aluminum is fairly soft so it should be easily 'adjustable'.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:00 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
If Andy's suggestion doesn't work, it would probably still be good for camping.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:30 PM   #5
Executive Chef

If I remember correctly, Calphalon is guaranteed for life, so unless it has a valid death certificate, take it to someplace like Bed Bugs and Beyond and they should give you a new pan just like it, free-fer-nuthin.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC. tenspeed. Lots of suggestion will come your way. But if you can get to BB&B take it back and make them live up to their guarantee. Tell them you received it as a gift 15 years ago and the woman who gave it to you said she bought it at BB&B. I doubt they will check their records for 15 years ago.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:21 PM   #7
Master Chef

It's worth a try with BB&B, but not all Calphalon is guaranteed for life..
Calphalon - Warranty Information

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Once metal has stretched there's no fixing it.
Retire it to a thrift store.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:45 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If you have a wood workbench or similar, place the pan face down on the surface near the edge so the handle is off in mid-air so the entire pan rim is on the bench surface.

Using a rubber mallet or a hammer and a block of wood, pound the hump down level. You should be able to do this with no harm to the pan. Aluminum is fairly soft so it should be easily 'adjustable'.
I have done this before and it will work just fine.
I did it last on a Calphalon saute pan.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:10 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I have done this before and it will work just fine.
I did it last on a Calphalon saute pan.
How hard did you have to hit it? I have a fairly hefty soft face hammer, so it should be more effective than a rubber mallet. I don't want to make it sag the other way!

It didn't occur to me that this was even possible, as the bottom is fairly thick. It's worth a try, though. Thanks for the tip!