"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2018, 07:34 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Sam's Club

(I looked for a proper thread and didn't want to search 992 threads)

Intended for Sam's Club members...

As reported before, Jeannie and I disposed of all household goods in Cali and are starting from scratch in MO.

My question is: Has any Sam's Club member purchased household goods (pots and pans, etc), and is doing so viable from an economic perspective?

Input will be appreciated...

Ross

Old 04-18-2018, 08:31 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I purchased a mattress from them and they delivered it, taking the old mattress away. Much easier and cheaper for me.

I am considering shopping there as they will ship, at least non-perishables. Sam's is a couple hours from here, but closer than Costco.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:11 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I purchased a mattress from them and they delivered it, taking the old mattress away. Much easier and cheaper for me.

I am considering shopping there as they will ship, at least non-perishables. Sam's is a couple hours from here, but closer than Costco.
Thanks, PF..
I had originally planned to open a membership to purchase bedroom furnishings.. I found a great deal on mattress and bed frame (including free shipping) on Amazon, so I went with them. Will probably do likewise with the second bedroom..

I'm thinking more on the lines of kitchen.. Other than my knives and a few personal essentials, I have zero kitchen things.. I need a few small appliances, table settings, serving items, pots and pans, etc.

I do plan on thrift shopping for deals and for the fun of discovery..

Sam's is just minutes away from the apartment complex we are on a waiting list for..

Ross
Old 04-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Check prices between Sam's and Amazon. Are you a prime member? It would be cheaper through Amazon just on shipping charges.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
Master Chef

I don't have a Sam's Club membership, but do have a COSTCO membership, and they both have similar products.

The cookware at COSTCO looks decent, and the price is pretty good, but I've never had to fight off a desire to buy any of it.

I am motivated by quality, not quantity, so I tend to go big or go home.

If you are in no hurry (waiting on an apartment), you might do better online, buying things one piece at a time. That way, you get what you want, and only what you want.

Just a thought.

CD
Old 04-18-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Ross, if you are planning on joining Sam's Club membership only to purchase household goods, I would say don't.

Myself, I also have Costco rather than Sam's, but I have never purchased any of thing for the house from them, well, other than electronics, no pots/pans/small appliances.

Now, on the other hand if you plan on buying groceries at Sam's too, that's a whole other bag of beans.

Do you plan on purchasing a set of pots&pans or open stock?
Me, I've always done open stock and have a variety of different brands and only the pieces that I use.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth today-not a whole lot
Old 04-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I shop at both regularly, but for overall selection of goods Costco does better, at least where I go. Sam's and Costco are practically across the street from one each other.

Sam's often irritates me though. They don't carry certain common goods such as lactose free milk, for instance. If Sam's does not carry something common, chances are Costco does.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #8
Head Chef

I would suggest you monitor slickdeals.net. You can also sign up for alerts. They commonly have notices for the best sales of household goods.

All Clad has "factory seconds" sales every few months through homeandcooksales.com. Occasionally Macy's (of all places!) has some items at really good prices. I picked up an All Clad skillet for 20% less than it was selling for on the seconds sale, and an Oxo scale at 40% or 50% off. They periodically have Oxo items at discounted prices. BB&B 20% off or $5 off $15 coupons work for Oxo.
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Check prices between Sam's and Amazon. Are you a prime member? It would be cheaper through Amazon just on shipping charges.
Yes, I'm a Prime member.. Actually, the free shipping on my bed and mattress has saved me the year membership charge.. I buy frequently from Amazon..

Ross
Old 04-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I don't have a Sam's Club membership, but do have a COSTCO membership, and they both have similar products.

The cookware at COSTCO looks decent, and the price is pretty good, but I've never had to fight off a desire to buy any of it.

I am motivated by quality, not quantity, so I tend to go big or go home.

If you are in no hurry (waiting on an apartment), you might do better online, buying things one piece at a time. That way, you get what you want, and only what you want.

Just a thought.

CD
A good thought.. Thanks, CD..

Ross