Saucepan or Saucier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stock Pot

Senior Cook
Assuming you had neither, which would you buy first, a saucepan or a saucier pan? Or, put another way, if you could only have one, which would you choose?

I have a 3.5 qt saucier I use a lot. I seldom use my 3 qt sauce pan. I like the wider and lower profile of the saucier. For most applications I could easily use either interchangeably.

If you're shopping for All-Clad, the factory seconds sale starts tomorrow at homeandcooksales.com. They usually post the passcode when the sale starts.

I have both. I use the saucier for... sauces. The rounded bottom makes it easier to stir sauces and gravies. Nothing gets missed by the stirring spoon.

I use the sauce pan more for heating things up, like soups or veggies. Although, the saucier could do that, too.

So, I guess I would go with the saucier if I could only have one of the two pans.

CD

That video on ATK was my inspiration to order one. It came today and it's in the dishwasher right now, which they recommend before you use it first time. I got the LeCruset.

I am going to try making glazed carrots in it tonight. That involves steaming them covered, then boiling off the water, then adding the brown sugar and butter and sauteing. So I figure it will give the pan a good workout, including clean-up.

Never owned a saucier so I can't say. I never even heard of a saucier until I first started watching Food Network, so never felt that using a basic saucepan for sauces was an issue. Since that's what I've always used, I learned to get the stuff out of the corners without any problems.

Never owned a saucier so I can't say. I never even heard of a saucier until I first started watching Food Network, so never felt that using a basic saucepan for sauces was an issue. Since that's what I've always used, I learned to get the stuff out of the corners without any problems.
DITTO. I use a flat whisk in my pots/pans to make gravy/sauce never had a problem. I DID buy an All Clad saucier after watching a cooking show that raved about how good it was. I HATE IT! With a passion. The handle is to long and heavy. I used it twice and the handle made it so unbalanced the contents were spilled out onto my stove when I let go of it. It was pretty pricey also and a waste.

Pots and pans are like knives, they may be called the same thing, but not feel the same in your hands. I don't see MsM's problem so much as a problem with sauciers, but a problem with the wrong saucier.

Never buy a pan without holding it in your hands first. They have different handles, which may or may not work with every cook.

I am using my saucier tonight for a wing sauce. I have a sauce pan of the same size, from the same manufacturer. They both feel exactly the same in my hands.

CD

Last edited:
That's helpful MsM. I was thinking about ordering this one. The handle doesn't look like it would be a problem, and the price is right from Macy's.
What do you think?
https://www.macys.com/shop/product/...inless-steel-2.5-qt.-chefs-pan-lid?ID=5045141
I would jump on that deal if I had the cash! I have been seeing the commercials for new space saving Calphalon cookware. I think this is only available exclusively at Macy's (designed for them). I really like the flat lids for easy stacking. One of the saucepans has a strainer lid. Which I LOVE. (I have 2 and 3 quart Cuisinart saucepans with strainer lids).

Calphalon

8803783_fpx.jpg

Calphalon Premier Space-Saving Stainless Steel 3.5-Qt. Pour & Strain Saucepan

Sale $79.99 Reg. $139.99

Use code: EVENT details
Free ship at $49 details

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/...OOST SAVED SET&searchPass=matchNone&slotId=15

Last edited:
Wow! you lot don't mess around when it comes to kitchen equipment! I tend to invest in it all. I spend a lot on the things I use most, but that is'nt much these days as I already have it, and it all still works. I've got cast iron, high quality stainless steel, copper-botomed, griddle pans, pans that I I only ever use for one or two things, ovenware the same. Since living in Italy, I've been in love with terracotta, it works very well. Having finished boasting, I use my saucier exactly that - doing sauces. In my view, indispensible for hollandaise and suchlike similar.

Having said all that, the images you've posted to are cookery temptation personified, totally gotta have, so now I'll be going on the Web to satisfy my cookery requirements and I'll be placing orders before Christmas!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom