Saucepan with strainer lid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolfette

Assistant Cook
I need a rice pan and while i was looking for one i saw a saucepan with strainer lid and i think it could be quite useful. Can i use this kind of saucepan to make rice as well?

My mom has one, and the holes are too big--rice would come thru.

I don't drain my rice--one cup of rice, 1.5 cups of water, bring to a boil, turn heat down to simmer, 15 minutes later, perfect rice. Cover the pan.

That's exactly what i do, too..i didn't mean thant i want to drain my rice, i just wanted to know if this pan can cook rice as well to avoid buying this pan and another one for rice :):innocent

I find straining liquids out of a saucepan using the lid more awkward than using a separate sieve/strainer.

I'd be concerned that the rice wouldn't steam properly if the lid's holes could not be closed off.

I need a rice pan and while i was looking for one i saw a saucepan with strainer lid and i think it could be quite useful. Can i use this kind of saucepan to make rice as well?

When you say you need a "rice pan," what do you mean? Any saucepan with a lid (no holes) can be used to make rice.

I'd be concerned that the rice wouldn't steam properly if the lid's holes could not be closed off.
That's my concern too and i was not able to check the lid because it has a carton wrap around it, a pyrex.

The one I have has a pouring spout and a lid that has a small perforated area that can be turned so that its over the spout for pouring but not over it when cooking to provide a seal.

But the holes are too big for rice

What make is that, Jenny?
I've been semi-looking for a new sauce pan for steaming veggies before I saute them.

I have a rice cooker. Perfect rice every time, for about 5 years or so, then it starts shutting off too early and you need to buy a new one.

Wolfette ... any pan with a lid will do for rice but not one with draining vents. You need to have a lid that will not allow the moisture to escape for rice. So if you have another pot with a lid that fits, use that for rice.

I had a pot once with a draining lid and I thought it would be very cool. It turned out not so cool. Went back to normal lids and a great colander.

So your question is regarding using the pan for other purposes as well as cooking rice. A strainer sauce pan is not worth the time or money. You can use it to cook rice as long as the cover seals off the strainer holes on the lid and pan. And you can also use the pot to cook potatoes and other foods. To use it to cook veggies and then strain them is very awkward. The weight of the food makes it difficult to tip the pan enough to drain out all the liquid. Also depending on how much food you have in the pot, you may not be draining all the water out. Then when you go to mash your veggies, you will find a pool of water still at the bottom. You can cook rice in such a pot as long as the cover seals with the pot and no steam is escaping.

You are better off buying a saucepan with a heavy duty core bottom and good fitting lid. Use a strainer or colander for draining food. :angel:

Bump for Jennyema

The one I have has a pouring spout and a lid that has a small perforated area that can be turned so that its over the spout for pouring but not over it when cooking to provide a seal.

But the holes are too big for rice

What make is that, Jenny?
I've been semi-looking for a new sauce pan for steaming veggies before I saute them.

And now I am really looking for a new sauce pan.
No shinola, there I was, mashing my potatoes... :(

Attachments

• pan.jpg
    pan.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 197
circa 1983 :rolleyes:
Fortunately I do not pepper my potatoes, as I had black specs that needed removed.

There are a couple of alternatives that I have seen that would work quite well. The Berghoff Neo has a secure lid that can be sealed or with a slight twist will let you pour off liquids. The with another slight twist the lid can be removed. Fissler Solea also has pans with similar lid features. Could be quite handy for more than just rice.
[suggest following the method that many have described for rice in this thread however]

thank you all! i'll buy a pan with a good lid :) for straining veggies, i have the colander :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom