Saucepot too big?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New_Cook1

Assistant Cook
I hope as my first question that this is too dumb, I purchased a Circulon Elite 8-Quart Wide Covered Saucepot, it exceeds the size of the electric burner by two inches, will this cause a problem when cooking with this pot?
Thank you
Tim

Welcome! Not dumb at all.

That's a very large pot. And wide.

If it exceeds the burner by 2 inches all the way around, it will compromise the performance of the cookware on an electric stove, IMO.

Are you sure you need such a large, wide pot? What do you contemplate using it for?

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking!!!! I think it is fairly normal for a LOT of pots to be larger than the burner. Sometimes that size pot is what's called for. I think you'll be fine.

I don't know what this pot looks like, but it's described as "wide." If it's more like a saute pan (wide and shallow), then I'll stick to the opinion that if 2 inches is off burner on an electric stove, then performance can be compromised becasue it's designed for things like sauteeing and browning rather than, say, boiling water for pasta. Particularly if the bottom isn't clad.

Plus that's still a real big puppy.

I can only assume that this is what the pot looks like.

It is a large pot but sometimes a large pot is what you need and you just have to make the best of it. I don't think things will be so compromised that the dish/recipe won't turn out.

neat, I can see a 5 quart (whatever a "quart" is?) under it, maybe something like would be better perhaps?

It is a large pot but sometimes a large pot is what you need and you just have to make the best of it. I don't think things will be so compromised that the dish/recipe won't turn out.
I'm with you.
I used a pot at my Uncle-in-law's (is that a term?:ermm:) once that was too big for ANY home-sized burner. I had to brown alot of ground beef for a birthday party. 5 lbs I think. You just have to babysit it a bit more.....
However that was on gas, I think the electric would be more concentrated heat, but an insulated or encapsulated bottom on that would help a bit. Just stir alot!

I hope as my first question that this is too dumb,
Don't worry, we usually reserve judgement until after you've asked 4 or 5 questions. :LOL:

Welcome to the boards. This particular pot is made of hard anodized aluminium, so the heat should distribute evenly, even if the pot is bigger than the burner. I wouldn't sweat it.

Welcome to DC! The pan will be fine but you just have to watch what you are cooking and ensure that dishes are either stirred regularly or move things around in the pan to ensure a better distribution of heat. So just beware of the hot and cooler spots and you'll be fine.

I would worry that it takes too much space on the stove top and you won't be able to fit another big pot on the nearest burner.

Welcome! Not dumb at all.

That's a very large pot. And wide.

If it exceeds the burner by 2 inches all the way around, it will compromise the performance of the cookware on an electric stove, IMO.

Are you sure you need such a large, wide pot? What do you contemplate using it for?

My wife had asked for a nice one since the one she was using was given to a college bound son, I bought it for from Amazon, I think I over did it, I have read a few threads and have decided to return it and buy a 6 quart All-Clad from Cookware and More recommended in the $100 thread. I would post a link but can't yet, is a 6 quart the standard size for this type of pot?

kitchenelf said:

Yes this is the one. You know being a male and having that dreaded male mentality, bigger is better, I bought what I thought was the right size, okay I could be wrong.

Thank you all for your comments and welcome. From what I have read and and the warm responses I have received this is a great community and look forward to further discussions.
Tim

Last edited:
My wife had asked for a nice one since the one she was using was given to a college bound son, I bought it for from Amazon, I think I over did it, I have read a few threads and have decided to return it and buy a 6 quart All-Clad from Cookware and More recommended in the $100 thread. I would post a link but can't yet, is a 6 quart the standard size for this type of pot?

Glad you like us! :chef:

The 6 quart is large. It's the largest saucepan they make.

I have one and it's useful, but I use the 4 quart more for everyday things.

It really depends on what you are planning to use it for. It would be too big to heat up spaghetti sauce but ok to boil the pasta.

Do you have a Williams Sonoma, Macy's, Sur le Table or other place that sells All Clad nearby? If so, a quick trip to look at the size of the pan might help you.

Back
Top Bottom