Saute pan or skillet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jstarr

Cook
I'm looking to replace all of my old pots and pans. I figured a saute pan or skillet would be the first piece I purchase. I understand the differences in shapes between the two, but I'm not sure which one to purchase? Is it a matter of personal preference, or do each serve different purposes in the kitchen?

Does it make sense to buy one of each? Also what size would you buy if you are typically cooking for 3?

Thanks.

Hi, jstarr

I joined this site last year when I started looking for replacement pots and pans, as it looks you have. I prefer a saute pan if I'm cooking something that splatters a lot because it has higher sides. It also has a lid that fits, whereas a skillet you have to make do. Last weekend I cooked some sausage, hamburger, various veggies, and added some spagetti sauce all in the same pan, my saute pan. I grab it when I don't know exactly how much stuff I'll be adding or if I may want to cover it a while while cooking.
I'll still grab a skillet for certain things and have three of those (2 SS and 1 nonstick). Lighter, easier to flip stuff, they don't have helper handles. They're just a smaller beast and sometimes I'd rather use a skillet, even for pork chops, which do tend to splatter.

That said, a few months ago I still thought I needed an inbetween pan and picked up a nonstick, wok type pan with a lid. It has it special uses, too, but it doesn't have the flat surface area of the others, so I wouldn't grab it if I was going to cook 4-5 pork chops or something I wanted to make a gravy from.

That's my thoughts anyway!

edited to say my 12" skillet does have a helper handle

I use both very often.

Saute pans are usually measured in quarts and a 3 quart one would be a reasonable size. A 12 inch skillet.

Welcome to DC!

I have both, I use both for different purposes. As has been previously stated, you can use a saute pan as a skillet, but not so much a skillet as a saute pan... and the lid that fits is more than helpful. I'd buy the saute pan first. at least a 3-quart. I use my 5 and 5 1/2 quart ones tons! ;)

Welcome to DC!

I have both, I use both for different purposes. As has been previously stated, you can use a saute pan as a skillet, but not so much a skillet as a saute pan... and the lid that fits is more than helpful. I'd buy the saute pan first. at least a 3-quart. I use my 5 and 5 1/2 quart ones tons! ;)

I think it's the 3 quart that I use most :question:but I also have a much larger one that I don't use as much.

Wow. I'm very impressed by the quick and thoughtful replies. Would a 3 quart saute be big enough when cooking for 3 people?

I think you will find the 3 qt. will fit the bill nicely when cooking for 3 or more on most recipes! Mine is 10 1/2" X 2" deep. (3 quart) I use it often!

I vote for the saute pan as well. With its straight sides, flat bottom and cover, it is much more versatile than a skillet.

Looks like a decent pan for the price. I think it's worth a try. I'd check for customer reviews before buying.

Wow. I'm very impressed by the quick and thoughtful replies. Would a 3 quart saute be big enough when cooking for 3 people?

I'd go for a 5 or 6 quart, depending on brand, sauté pan. If cooking a recipe that includes, let's say, a whole chicken cut up, a 3 quart sauté pan may have you wishing for a cornish game hen instead of a chicken.

Do you ever cook a larger amount of a recipe with the idea of freezing or refrigerating for lunches or dinners? If you do, you'll probably appreciate a 5 or 6 quart pan. So much easier than trying to overload a smaller pan. Oh, and I agree about the saute pan vs frying pan. I think the saute is more versatile initially. Have fun shopping, jstarr.

You need to make sure your burner can deal with the size of a larger saute pan.

Remember, as volume goes up, the pan gets larger horizontally and takes up more space on your burner.

I just looked up my All Clad and I have 4 and 6 quart saute pans, so 3 might be a bit small. 4 will be right for most things. The 6 is very large and useful but not an everyday piece.

I bought the Cuisinart 5-1/2 qt saute pan. I'm single, but I'd say I cook for three people. I eat big, like leftovers and maybe some for next day's lunch...... or if I get hungry again in a couple hours :pig:

It's a monster and takes up a lot of room on the stove, but it generally contains the bulk if not the whole meal that I'm cooking.
Here's a link to Cuisinart's page on Amazon. The one I bought is #7 and looks like a non-stick and says it's 30 bucks, but I paid 47 last year and mine is not non-stick. If you look at # 11, the 3-1/2 qt, you'll see it is $54. If this is some kind of mistake or big sale on their part, I'd jump on it. As long as you're getting the all SS one and not non-stick.
Amazon.com: cuisinart pans - Home & Garden: Home & Garden

I also have the Cuisinart (Original) 5 1/2 quart.... It holds a whole chicken cut up, and rice; or 3 pounds of beef stew with veggies... We always like leftovers, especially of those.... :chef:

I also have the Cuisinart (Original) 5 1/2 quart.... It holds a whole chicken cut up, and rice; or 3 pounds of beef stew with veggies... We always like leftovers, especially of those.... :chef:

Large saute pans are useful, of course, but I'd not cook a stew in a saute pan. I'd use a vessel of similar volume but differently shaped, like a dutch oven. That's a piece of cookware I use much mopre than my biggest saute pan.

Saute pans are relatively flat and shallow. For sauteeing :)

Best to go to a store and see for yourself how big they are in person and make a decision about whether your cooktop can handle a big one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom