"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-19-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Saute Pan: Quarts and Size

I want to get a new saute pan and get a quality one to replace the cheap workhorse I have now.

My current is a 12" pan, not sure how deep. I'd have to measure; I'd like to say 3" but I'm not positive. I like the size of it. (I'm considering not going nonstick because I think that would last longer. I don't have huge $$ to spend but I want something decent quality.)

I have no idea how big it is in quarts and, from the threads I'm reading here, I'm guessing that's the measurement I'm going to run into at the store. I can take a tiny tape measure with me, but I'd like to know the volume anyway.

Thoughts? (Brand recommendations good too.)

What size do you find most useful?

Old 02-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

A 12" saute pan is about 3-3.5 quarts.

A14"-15" pan is 5-6 quarts.

Which size is better depends on how big the recipes are that you cook.

I recommend a tri-ply stainless saute pan with a lid. There are several brands that make good ones, including All-Clad, Cuisinart, Tramontina, Le Gourmet Chef, Claphalon, Viking.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:28 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMeg View Post
I want to get a new saute pan and get a quality one to replace the cheap workhorse I have now.

My current is a 12" pan, not sure how deep. I'd have to measure; I'd like to say 3" but I'm not positive. I like the size of it. (I'm considering not going nonstick because I think that would last longer. I don't have huge $$ to spend but I want something decent quality.)

I have no idea how big it is in quarts and, from the threads I'm reading here, I'm guessing that's the measurement I'm going to run into at the store. I can take a tiny tape measure with me, but I'd like to know the volume anyway.

Thoughts? (Brand recommendations good too.)

What size do you find most useful?
If your existing sauté panhas a second "helper" handle, I woulds guess it's either 5 quarts or 6 quarts, which is the size I would recommend for the new one, regarldess of the existing one. Please don't buy a non-stick sauté pan. It would eliminate one of the most imporant benefits of a sauté pan, which is the development of fond. Save the non-stick for your bacon and eggs frying pan.

As for brands, I recommend one of the All-Clad knock-offs you can find in most kitchen stores or places like Wally World or Costco. If you have a Le Gourmet Chef in your local outlet mall, their large tri-ply saute pan is 5 quarts (All-Clad is 6) and is priced at about 1/3 the cost of All-Clad.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
If your existing sauté pan has a second "helper" handle, I woulds guess it's either 5 quarts or 6 quarts, which is the size I would recommend for the new one, regarldess of the existing one. Please don't buy a non-stick sauté pan. It would eliminate one of the most imporant benefits of a sauté pan, which is the development of fond. Save the non-stick for your bacon and eggs frying pan.

As for brands, I recommend one of the All-Clad knock-offs you can find in most kitchen stores or places like Wally World or Costco. If you have a Le Gourmet Chef in your local outlet mall, their large tri-ply saute pan is 5 quarts (All-Clad is 6) and is priced at about 1/3 the cost of All-Clad.
Yes, my current one has the helper handle. The darn thing is also warped so it doesn't sit nicely flat on my stove. Anything particular I need to watch for to avoid that in the future or is it just a fact of the cheap pan used 10000x?
Old 02-19-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
Master Chef

Go to a store tha sells cookware and look at the pieces and how large they are measured by quarts so that you have a visual you can relate to.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:35 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I have both Calphalon tri-ply 3-qt and 5-qt saute pans. Right now, I use the 3-qt little more often. But if I had to choose between only having 1, I would pick the larger of the 2 sizes. I'm with Caine about not getting a non-stick saute pan.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Hi CanadianMeg,
Why don`t you measure the liquid capacity of your existing saute pan? All you have to do is pour in measured quantities of water, say a pint at a time and you`ll soon be able to work it out.
As AnyM says, much depends upon how many portions you cook at one time.
Also, do you live anywhere near a TKMaxx - it might be worth looking there to see if they have any good but heavily discounted sauté pans.
Regards,
Archiduc
Old 02-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiduc View Post
Also, do you live anywhere near a TKMaxx - it might be worth looking there to see if they have any good but heavily discounted sauté pans.
Regards,
Archiduc
I don't know if there are any TJMaxx in Canada. There aren't where I am. It's pretty much just Walmart, Linen N Things and Canadian stores (Bay, Home Outfitters).
Old 02-19-2008, 11:56 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
CanadianMeg,
Do you have a Cotsco store near by? They sell a cookware line called Kirkland I believe.
It is made by Tramontina, all-clad construction at a very reasonable price.
I was at a friend's house this weekend. She only buys at Cotsco and has these pans, they look great, are very solid and as far as I know is like an All-Clad minus the price tag.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:35 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Actually, we are planning to go to Costco on Monday. Do I have to buy a whole set or can I buy single pans there? I've seen them but never bought pans there.

Incidentally, the Lagostina flatware set (50 pieces) at Costco is awesome!