Saute Pan: Quarts and Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianMeg

Senior Cook
I want to get a new saute pan and get a quality one to replace the cheap workhorse I have now.

My current is a 12" pan, not sure how deep. I'd have to measure; I'd like to say 3" but I'm not positive. I like the size of it. (I'm considering not going nonstick because I think that would last longer. I don't have huge $$ to spend but I want something decent quality.)

I have no idea how big it is in quarts and, from the threads I'm reading here, I'm guessing that's the measurement I'm going to run into at the store. I can take a tiny tape measure with me, but I'd like to know the volume anyway.

Thoughts? (Brand recommendations good too.)

What size do you find most useful?

Last edited:
A 12" saute pan is about 3-3.5 quarts.

A14"-15" pan is 5-6 quarts.

Which size is better depends on how big the recipes are that you cook.

I recommend a tri-ply stainless saute pan with a lid. There are several brands that make good ones, including All-Clad, Cuisinart, Tramontina, Le Gourmet Chef, Claphalon, Viking.

I want to get a new saute pan and get a quality one to replace the cheap workhorse I have now.

My current is a 12" pan, not sure how deep. I'd have to measure; I'd like to say 3" but I'm not positive. I like the size of it. (I'm considering not going nonstick because I think that would last longer. I don't have huge $$ to spend but I want something decent quality.)

I have no idea how big it is in quarts and, from the threads I'm reading here, I'm guessing that's the measurement I'm going to run into at the store. I can take a tiny tape measure with me, but I'd like to know the volume anyway.

Thoughts? (Brand recommendations good too.)

What size do you find most useful?

If your existing sauté panhas a second "helper" handle, I woulds guess it's either 5 quarts or 6 quarts, which is the size I would recommend for the new one, regarldess of the existing one. Please don't buy a non-stick sauté pan. It would eliminate one of the most imporant benefits of a sauté pan, which is the development of fond. Save the non-stick for your bacon and eggs frying pan.

As for brands, I recommend one of the All-Clad knock-offs you can find in most kitchen stores or places like Wally World or Costco. If you have a Le Gourmet Chef in your local outlet mall, their large tri-ply saute pan is 5 quarts (All-Clad is 6) and is priced at about 1/3 the cost of All-Clad.

If your existing sauté pan has a second "helper" handle, I woulds guess it's either 5 quarts or 6 quarts, which is the size I would recommend for the new one, regarldess of the existing one. Please don't buy a non-stick sauté pan. It would eliminate one of the most imporant benefits of a sauté pan, which is the development of fond. Save the non-stick for your bacon and eggs frying pan.

As for brands, I recommend one of the All-Clad knock-offs you can find in most kitchen stores or places like Wally World or Costco. If you have a Le Gourmet Chef in your local outlet mall, their large tri-ply saute pan is 5 quarts (All-Clad is 6) and is priced at about 1/3 the cost of All-Clad.

Yes, my current one has the helper handle. The darn thing is also warped so it doesn't sit nicely flat on my stove. Anything particular I need to watch for to avoid that in the future or is it just a fact of the cheap pan used 10000x?

Go to a store tha sells cookware and look at the pieces and how large they are measured by quarts so that you have a visual you can relate to.

I have both Calphalon tri-ply 3-qt and 5-qt saute pans. Right now, I use the 3-qt little more often. But if I had to choose between only having 1, I would pick the larger of the 2 sizes. I'm with Caine about not getting a non-stick saute pan.

Hi CanadianMeg,
Why don`t you measure the liquid capacity of your existing saute pan? All you have to do is pour in measured quantities of water, say a pint at a time and you`ll soon be able to work it out.
As AnyM says, much depends upon how many portions you cook at one time.
Also, do you live anywhere near a TKMaxx - it might be worth looking there to see if they have any good but heavily discounted sauté pans.
Regards,
Archiduc

Also, do you live anywhere near a TKMaxx - it might be worth looking there to see if they have any good but heavily discounted sauté pans.
Regards,
Archiduc

I don't know if there are any TJMaxx in Canada. There aren't where I am. It's pretty much just Walmart, Linen N Things and Canadian stores (Bay, Home Outfitters).

CanadianMeg,
Do you have a Cotsco store near by? They sell a cookware line called Kirkland I believe.
It is made by Tramontina, all-clad construction at a very reasonable price.
I was at a friend's house this weekend. She only buys at Cotsco and has these pans, they look great, are very solid and as far as I know is like an All-Clad minus the price tag.

Actually, we are planning to go to Costco on Monday. Do I have to buy a whole set or can I buy single pans there? I've seen them but never bought pans there.

Incidentally, the Lagostina flatware set (50 pieces) at Costco is awesome!

I just received a 10" Le Gourmet Chef Tri-Ply saute pan through a dealer on Amazon. It was $75 plus another $10 for shipping. Most of my other cookware is Tramontina (Kirkland Signature Tri-Ply). This pan is every bit as good and, like Tramontina, probably as good as All-Clad for a third of the price. I have a 12" (came in the Kirkland set), the new 10" Le Gourmet Chef, and an 8" Emerilware (TJ Maxx for $20) saute pan (5,3, and 2 qt). I will probably use the 10" most frequently in doing cooking for two.

Last edited:
CSG,
Do you know if Tramontina makes a double boiler and asparragus cooker?
I checked on-line, but couldn't find anything and I haven't been to a Cotsco store.
I heard so much about Kirkland, that I think is worth giving it a try.

Last edited:
Actually, we are planning to go to Costco on Monday. Do I have to buy a whole set or can I buy single pans there? I've seen them but never bought pans there.

Incidentally, the Lagostina flatware set (50 pieces) at Costco is awesome!

I bought a Kirkland tri-ply set 7-8 years ago and it is fantastic. As heavy as All-clad and performs flawlessly.

The Costco stores I have been to only sell sets. You can get a large single piecs such as a pasta pot with insert but the normal stuff is in sets.

I don't have room for a full set and I already have a Lagostina pasta pot with the insert. I only need this one right now. Oh well, I can look anyway, just in case.

If your existing sauté panhas a second "helper" handle, I woulds guess it's either 5 quarts or 6 quarts, which is the size I would recommend for the new one, regarldess of the existing one.

My All-Clad sauté pan has a helper handle and it's only 3 quarts.

The 10"/3 qt Le Gourmet Chef also now has a helper handle. Probably as a result of the CI comments rating this pan #2 behind the AC version. They would have rated it #1 had it had the helper handle at the time of the test.

I wouldn't think that a helper handle would be necessary for a 3 quart pot or pan of any kind.

Most 10 in. saute pans will have a helper handle but 10 in. skillets usually don't.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom