Scanpan - Buyer Beware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like the people who make those SCAMpans are going to keep "upgrading" til they get it right. Why would you allow this to happen? Why not just ask the store for a refund?. Did you pay for these pans with a charge card? Write the card company and tell them your problem. You will be eligable for a refund (called a charge-back) from Visa or Mastercard. This is one reason I never buy anything like this without putting it on my charge card. Looks like you are getting a runaround. After all these problems and the poor quality, I wouldn't give them another chance to make it right.

That explains why my local stores are dumping the Scanpan Classic like mad. David Jones and Myer are discounting 30 to 40%, and 60% off at smaller stores. I was in the market for a new wok recently, the massive discount caught my attention but I knew there must be something wrong.

I did notice the letter stamped at the base, so far I've seen V, X, and Z but no sales person can explain what that means or perhaps they didn't want to tell. Last week I was at a different store and they had the Professional side by side with the Classic, that was the first time I saw ZX which costs 50% more than the Z.

The store assistant couldn't explain the vast difference in price, he just said that the metal handle costs more but I knew that wasn't the only reason. Anyway, can someone please confirm ZX belongs to the 'good' batch and free of 'defect'?

Cheers!

CasualCook said:
Anyway, can someone please confirm ZX belongs to the 'good' batch and free of 'defect'?

I wouldn't trust ANY of their cookware again LOL, at least not if I had to pay for it... If you buy one and wait 6 months or so (using it often enough) you will find out for yourself ;-)

I have an 'A' range Wok and dutch oven (thats all I have now) as the distributor sent them to me free of charge (I already returned the Z range Wok for a refund).. They claim the A range stuff is fine, but I have been using them only for a couple of months so not long enough to be certain...

Sounds like the A-Z run-around to me----thanks for the posting--I'll be sure to steer clear of that line of pans-----no one wants to waste money on what they spend a good part of their lives on and that's cooking---and who wants to be searching for receipts and hassling about replacements. Sorry y'all have had this trouble but thanks for the heads-up for the rest of us.

Wow, my mother uses scanpans and has been very happy with them. I was getting ready to buy cookware for my fiance and have narrowed it down to scanpan, calphalon, and swiss diamond. I guess now it's down to calphalon and swiss diamond.

I wouldn't trust ANY of their cookware again LOL, at least not if I had to pay for it... If you buy one and wait 6 months or so (using it often enough) you will find out for yourself ;-)

I have an 'A' range Wok and dutch oven (thats all I have now) as the distributor sent them to me free of charge (I already returned the Z range Wok for a refund).. They claim the A range stuff is fine, but I have been using them only for a couple of months so not long enough to be certain...

Well just to update I now no longer have any scanpan cookware :chef:. Everything switched over to Le Chasseur and one Swiss Diamond frypan. The 'A' series which is still the latest all bubbled on me too.. :LOL:

I asked the store owner who gave me the refund why they still stock them and he said he has little choice. Too many customers ask for them for him to drop the range, but he NEVER recommends them to customers who don't have their heart set on being broken :ROFLMAO:

Scanpans Mostly FANTASTIC

I've had Scanpan skillets, sucepots and dutch ovens for over 15 years.
For the most part I LOVE MY PANS .
I cook with them nearly EVERY day.
They heat evenly and with very little oil or Pam, food rarely sticks.
You can dunk them in cold water and anything stuck lifts off with very little effort, unless its burned on sweet or starchy food. Then a little soaking and a stiff brush or the supplied scrubbie gets it right off.
I sure hope they are not making them less durable.
Based on my experience, I would recommend them to anyone.

The fry pans do seem to hold up the best.
The lid handles had a poor design, in the beginning.
But the pan handles are comfortable to use and don't get hot.

I have had excellent performance from my large saute pans. I do use metal utensils to lift and turn the food with no damage. I do not think it good to chop at food with a metal utensil in any pan, though, so I don't.

I did own one small Fry/Omelet Pan, one Covered Sauce Pan and two Covered Low Stew/Sauce Pots of which small portions of the non-stick coating cracked off all over the bottom of the pans. Scanpan replaced the pans very quickly at no charge. The customer rep was very nice.
I am waiting on my request to have a lid replaced because it cracked when I dropped it because of the handle design.
Good luck with your choice!
And
Guten Appetit!!​

I use Scanpan CS5 fusion cookware and they perform as well as anything short of Mauviel copper cookware.

I never bother with non-stick pans because I don't want to taste what I was cooking 3 months ago, and the Scanpan SS and fusion ranges are top quality products at reasonable prices.

Back
Top Bottom