Scrambled Eggs in Cast Iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChadHahn

Cook
I went on a 4 night camping trip and brought along a Wagner Ware skillet that I had bought at a thrift store for $5. The second morning I decided to try my hand at scrambling eggs in the pan. I didn't do anything to this pan after I bought it, in fact it still had the price written in grease pen on the bottom. I wiped the pan with a oily paper towel before cooking and the eggs cooked flawlessly.

Here is the aftermath.

seasoning.jpg

Chad

I use a cast iron skillet to make scrambled eggs all the time. I have a dedicated egg CI. I trust you'll like the CI pan at home as well.

Yes, looks like scrambled eggs were made in that pan. It takes a while to build up a good seasoning, especially for cooking eggs. Out camping was a fantastic opportunity to season that pan, outdoors with ventilation.

My workhorse pan is a 12" CI. I regularly cook different types of eggs in it. I sometimes make a sausage McMuffin. A buttered English muffin goes in the pan along with 3 sausage links. Then I use a biscuit/cookie cutter the hold an egg. I add some cheese on top of the egg. When I'm lucky, they all come out at the same time.

I cook everything else in this pan too.

CI really is non-stick and you don't have to baby it.

If I were car camping I would bring some cast iron with me.
Usually when using cast iron at a campsite cook a whole pound of bacon, remove bacon and cook eggs in all that bacon grease. That along with some percolated camp coffee.

I use a cast iron skillet to make scrambled eggs all the time. I have a dedicated egg CI. I trust you'll like the CI pan at home as well.

I thought about incorporating the pan into my kitchen but the wife said that it's so non-stick that it should be a camping skillet. Hopefully one of my other CI pans already in the kitchen will make eggs so well.

Is there a question here?

The lack of a question mark would imply no.

Chad

I thought about incorporating the pan into my kitchen but the wife said that it's so non-stick that it should be a camping skillet. Hopefully one of my other CI pans already in the kitchen will make eggs so well.

Chad
I'd counter that if I didn't have another CI that was the same size already in the kitchen.:yum:

You went to a thrift store, bought a pan, and didn't clean it before using it?
Maybe I'm a germophobe but that kind of made me shudder.

If I were car camping I would bring some cast iron with me.
Usually when using cast iron at a campsite cook a whole pound of bacon, remove bacon and cook eggs in all that bacon grease. That along with some percolated camp coffee.

hmm...I feel another thread coming on....Not gonna hijack this one.

Chad
Yes, it does, assuming correct use of grammar. I am not familiar with your posts, so I don't know if you consider punctuation optional. I wondered if you were concerned about the amount of egg left on your CI skillet.

You went to a thrift store, bought a pan, and didn't clean it before using it?
Maybe I'm a germophobe but that kind of made me shudder.
My dad had a cast iron small 3 legged pot sitting on the shop stove that he used for heating hide glue. I've seen CI used for pet dishes, bought them from barns. I always strip new/old CI and reseason.

I figured that the heat would kill what germs were on the pan. I'm from Tucson which is filled with retirees. This pan was probably some old ladies pride and joy and when she died her kids just shipped it off to Goodwill. I'm glad that I didn't strip the seasoning that she spent 70 years acquiring.

Chad

To the wife that says everything sticks to cast iron; my cast iron is the most stick-free cookwear in my kitchen. It is also the most durable. The only thing I use a teflon gridlle for is when I'm making pancakes, or crepe's. But for almost everything else, including tomato sauces, a well-seasoned cast iron pan rules in my kitchen.

The only reason I use the teflon griddle is because it distributes the heat more evenly across the pan surface. I have a gas stove, and the CI has hot spots were the flame touches the pan metal. This gives me uneven cooking temps, which makes it difficult to make really great pancakes. And if you know me, you know that I take great pride in my pancakes.:chef:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom