Seasoning a Pizza Stone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
I've had a pizza stone now for about 12 years. I've only used it to help even out the temps of the various ovens I've had in the places I've lived.

I just read a thread yesterday or the day before about seasoning a pizza stone by baking various items directly on the stone.

Please refresh my memory as to what those items were? I think I remember oven-baked french fries and fish sticks (I'm kicking myself, as I just did some fish sticks for lunch for my daughter and I). Are there other things I can use as well?

I have baked only bread directly on the stone. I didn't do anything special to season it. I heated the bread stone and when I put the loaf on top, I put down a bit of corn meal so that the bread wouldn't stick. That was it.

This is interesting.

I was under the impression that one of the benefits of the pizza stone was that, the 'stone', being porous, was effective at drawing moisture out of the dough, resulting in a crispy crust. Seasoning the stone would prevent that from happening.

I clean my stone in the oven during the oven's self cleaning cycle.

This is a good question cause, uh, mine is turning kinda dark. The only thing I have used it for is pizza, and that is cooked directly on it. I think the wife is eyeing it for the wash, but I am not sure how she should wash it. Hot water and soap or just hot water? And just sponge or a scrubby sponge?

Buddy, leave the stone in the oven during the cleaning cycle. When it's completed, brush off the ashes and you're done.

Uh... I have a cheap stove, no cleaning cycle! I think the dial only goes to 500... probably not hot enough to do it that way?

Uh... I have a cheap stove, no cleaning cycle! I think the dial only goes to 500... probably not hot enough to do it that way?

Probably not. How about in a gas grill on full blast with the lid closed.

I have heard/read that you should not soap a stone.

I was thinking I had heard the same thing, for now I might just leave it on the counter and wait until I know for sure.
Or, use it as an excuse to the wife why I need a new stove! LOL.

Certain brands (Pampered Chef comes to mind) of stone recommend seasoning, but most others don't. I would only try seasoning if you know the manufacturer of your stone recommends it.

Ok. I did take it out and brush off some the gunk. However, I baked a casserole last week the dribbled over, and that stuff hasn't burned off yet. I'm like Buddy, cursed with a cheap stove and no self-cleaning function. I'll just get a wire-bristled brush and brush the gunk off. I'm not sure if I'll actually bake a pizza on it or not. PeppA usually does the pizza baking, and she's VERY set in her ways about how she does it.

I have one that I love. It is not seasoned. I do like Andy and run it through the cleaning cycle, but I do not do the cleaning cycle very often at all. Plenty of stuff builds up on my stone in the meantime.

I take a knife or spatula or something else stiff and flat and scrap the stone clean. The stains and other stuff on it does not seem to have a negative affect. I make calzones on mine all the time and the occasional pizza. The stone does a great job of turning out a crispy crust.

I use mine all the time for anything that would go on a cookie sheet. I haven't "seasoned" it but it has kind of seasoned itself. It's pretty nonstick now. I have several sizes and the ones used frequently have turned dark then lightened up again. I would never use soap on a stone. When things stick, I use baking soda and a green scotch scrubbie or a nylon scrubbie. They clean up faily easily. If you think you want to season it, treat it sort of like cast iron using a small amount of oil and baking it in the oven.

Well mine is starting to turn from tan to dark brown. I think for now I will just use water only on it to wash it off and leave it at that.

Probably not. How about in a gas grill on full blast with the lid closed.

I have heard/read that you should not soap a stone.

No soap ... it'll just bond to whatever seasoning you have managed to build up on your stone. The worse it looks, the better it cooks ... HONEST! Even if you are a clean freak, why would you want to eat soap and get a stummy ache?

As for the cleaning cycle, PC discourages this. I have done it, but apparently there have been extreme cases that resulted in oven fires. Now whether that was the result of excessive build up, other debris in oven, gas flame or element too close to stone ... I don't know. But proceed with caution! Unless it's a stone designed for the grill, I'm not sure the direct flame of a gas grill is a good way to clean it either.

Please know that if you put through a cleaning cycle, you will negate any seasoning you managed to build. It basically brings the stone back to a "new" state. Not what you want unless your stone has been abused or is downright black with char versus seasoning.

Honestly at this point I am confused, LOL. Mine has gone from tan to almost black around the middle, dark brown around the edges. It sounds like I should scrub it off and start again as I want dark brown but not the burnt looking almost black in the middle???
It sounds like if I give it a good scrubbing down with hot water and a scrubby sponge I may get it back to where it should be?

Please know that if you put through a cleaning cycle, you will negate any seasoning you managed to build. It basically brings the stone back to a "new" state. Not what you want unless your stone has been abused or is downright black with char versus seasoning.
I do not agree. My stone works perfectly in its "new" state and I actually prefer the results I get when it is like this as opposed to in its "used" state. My results are much more consistent when it is "new".

Honestly at this point I am confused, LOL. Mine has gone from tan to almost black around the middle, dark brown around the edges. It sounds like I should scrub it off and start again as I want dark brown but not the burnt looking almost black in the middle???
It sounds like if I give it a good scrubbing down with hot water and a scrubby sponge I may get it back to where it should be?

You're fine Mav, no need to start over. The stone will always take on a darker appearance on the edges versus where the food has been. Hang in there. There is lots of conflicting information out there, but it sounds as though your's is seasoning nicely. It's a process that's worth the time!

We have 3 that we use religiously ... 1 for bread / sweets, 1 for anything saucy / spicey and 1 for everthing else. 2 were originally labeled as "pizza stones" and the 3rd, and oldest was a gift and is a rectangular PC. I have never seasoned any of them and only on rare occasion have had anything stick to them. I don't think I've ever baked a pizza on any of them. We're "on the rack" people ... :)

None of them have ever touched water (although we do have a 9x9 stone cake pan that I wash in water ... but I digress) ... I have a hard plastic scraper that came with the PC one but really, an old credit card or driver's license would work just as well. When they are cool enough to handle, I hold them over the sink and scrap as much off as I can. About once a year, DH does it for me and gets way more off than I can.

Buddy, all of mine are DARK brown. The oldest is almost black in spots. When I give them the touch and sniff test, they are all smooth to the touch - I can feel the oil a little that has built up over time and smell either sweet, spicy or like nothing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom