"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #31
Head Chef

It was right side up during those hours at 400F. The important thing is that the pours of the cast iron get filled, right? I'm guessing that over time, those areas between the black carbonized dots will fill in. Please tell me so, lol.

I'm not starting this process over, it takes too much electricity, for a lump of iron :)

Old 10-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

Yes over time and good use those areas will fill in.

Biggest boo boo was having it right side up, not upside down, and did you use a terrycloth to wipe it down or a paper towel? I know it's probably more trouble than it's worth to you to re-do it npow, but just in case you feel like trying again sometime you can have all the knowledge you need to get what you want the first time. :)

Again, ask questions on the WAGS forums, they've tried ALL the methods out there and while there may be some variation on people's personal preferences, the overall advice is the same.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #33
Head Chef

I'm ok with this pan now, I suppose. Before the 2nd 400F over bake goof, I added a little Crisco in the pan and fried an egg. It cooked and slid out of the pan beautifully. I am supposing it should do the same now, now that I over baked the seasoning process. Right now I am re-seasoning it for curiosity sake. 400F. In an hour I'll let it cool on its own in the oven.

I may cook some chicken tonight and see if it doesn't stick as much during the browning. That's what got this endeavor started (foolishly using soap to clean the pan).
Old 10-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

Excellent news! congrats! :)
Old 10-31-2010, 05:27 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
share any pics of WIP?