"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #1
Head Chef

Seasoning my skillet not going as planned

This 8" cast iron skillet starting sticking because I used some soap. I decided to clean it after umpteen years and reseason it. I've seasoned a wok before.

OK, so I cleaned it out all I wanted to, and per some sites instructions, wiped some Canola oil in the pan and set it upside down in the oven with some foil underneath it. 340 F for an hour.

Taking it out, the oil collected in places on the bottom and sides and turned into a shiny glaze, leaving other areas still dull. It almost looks like sugar glaze at the bottom.

I reduced the heat to 240 and wiped it down again and its in the oven now for another hour. I ditched the idea of keeping it upside down in the oven. That's what I think caused such a build up of glaze in areas.

Needless to say I'm disappointed so far. I may end up starting over and scouring out the skillet again.

Is it normal for that glaze like surface to be kinda...well, thick? Do I need to repeat the process until its glazy like all over?

PS. When I wiped it down again with oil to go in the oven again, I could still see the slightly raised previous shinier areas when shown to the light. I'm pretty sure I didn't use too much oil the first bake, maybe I did. Seems like I did something wrong. Too high a temp?

Old 10-27-2010, 03:51 AM   #2
Executive Chef

My guess is that you're winding up with a somewhate tacky or gummy reddish brown glaze. I've found that at 350F it takes upwards of 4 hours to get the black (carbonized) finish that I want.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:11 AM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
My guess is that you're winding up with a somewhate tacky or gummy reddish brown glaze. I've found that at 350F it takes upwards of 4 hours to get the black (carbonized) finish that I want.
What about the areas of the skillet that still look unseasoned (a dull flat appearance) after the baking process? I don't mind repeating the process, but I don't like how my first "bake" turned out.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:18 AM   #4
Executive Chef

In my book, bone dry does not mean unseasoned. For me, a clean well seasoned pan is one that has an even, black, dry and relatively dull finish. Shiney finishes seem prone to rancidity.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:26 AM   #5
Head Chef

That may be true, the oil may have pooled, requiring the skillet be scrubbed down again and the seasoning process started over.
There are squiddly patterned lines of what appears to be pooled areas of oil that got overbaked or something.

Those baked on pooled areas with their weird raised outlines are now permanent unless I scrub them off and start over.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:00 AM   #6
Executive Chef

After washing and mechanically drying, you might want to heat pan to insure it is thoroughly dried before greasing / oiling the pan.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:21 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I remember buying a cast iron skillet that wasn't already seasoned and the instructions were to put about a 1/2" of oil in the pan and put it in the oven for several hours at a low temp. I think the temp was 200 or 250. Since then I have reseasoned by doing the same thing.

My new 8" skillet came already seasoned! Whenever I use it, usually for cornbread, I spray it liberally with cooking spray before adding my batter. It comes out perfect every time. The reason I did this was the first cornbread didn't quite come out whole, but ever since I started with the cooking spray, it comes out completely in one piece that I can cut into pie wedge pieces.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:06 AM   #8
Head Chef

I found that lightly coating a cleaned skillet with oil at 350F face down, for an hour, is not the ideal way to season a cleaned out skillet.

More than a few sites mention 350F for an hour to season. That probably may have been way too hot?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
Head Chef

Put some oil in it and if you have a gas grill take it out side and let it "cook" on the gas grill (won't stink up the house) I do mine this way all the time - works great.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

It definitely was not too hot. If anything it was too cool. I am confused as to how you think it being upside down contributed to pooling. the reason you turn the pan upside down is so that the fat has a harder time pooling as gravity will force it to not pool.

Pooling happens when too much fat is used. You should just wipe a very thin layer on it.