"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Seasoning - Right or Wrong?

Hi All,

I recently bought a de Buyer carbone plus steel pan. This is my first pan that requires seasoning. Ive followed the instructions and cooked a few things in it. Its developed a black circle in the middle of the pan. Is this part of seasoning? Or is this something which should be scrubbed off?

Photo:
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9669/frypan2.jpg

Thanks!

Old 08-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Never scrub seasoned pans it'll remove the coating that was on it. Just use a sponge and wipe it off.

Black circle is normal its like using a wok and burning it so it gets black in the centre

Old 08-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Hi Binny,

Thanks for the feedback. I was a little concerned that there's just this black spot in the middle - I would've thought it would season more evenly (or, I could season it more evenly).

Ive since taken a better quality photo:
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/1281/img59752small.jpg

If anyone else can chime in, I'd appreciate it

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
Quote:
Seasoning: preparing your frying pan
Clean the frying pan with very hot water and wipe it. Pour one centimeter of oil in the pan and heat it for 5 minutes. Next, thrown away the oil and wipe your pan with paper towels.

The more the pan is used, the better the performance. The darker it becomes the better it is for natural nonstick properties.
To me sounds a bit confusing on what the one centimeter of oil means. do you pour on 1 cm thick of oil in the whole pan .. or just a 1cm dot?

I know from seasoning CI pans you give it a through thin coat of shortening all over. Maybe with this pan you just use a 1cm dot and spread that all around the inside of the pan.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

1cm means 1cm thick, not just a little dot.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

GB's right. The seasoning will only happen where the oil is. It's the oil that changes chemical composition and creates that black layer that becomes non-stick properties. So just do it again.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Hi...

When I seasoned the pan, I ensured it had a full coat on the base with vegetable oil. Could it be that I had the heat on my electric cook-top on high, so it created a hot-spot in the middle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
So just do it again.
Do I need to scrub back the pan? Or just put 1cm of oil in and heat it up?

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

I'd start with just adding more oil. The spot in the center of the pan doesn't look as though it's thick enough to be noticeable. Use a burner that's as big as or bigger than the pan bottom and let it get fully hot before putting the pan on it.. After reseasoning if there is still a problem, go down to shiny metal and start over.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:01 AM   #9
Master Chef

If your pan has an oven safe handle, you can effectively season it by rubbing all over with a thin coating of shortening. place a cookie sheet under you pan to catch any drips. Now, place the pan into a 350 degree F. oven for a half hour or so. Turn off the oven and let everything cool. Remove the pan and rub s thin layer of oil onto the cooking surface and inner sides. Your pan should be ready to go.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Hi All,

Ive enjoyed the use of my pan, but I wonder if in my learning curve, have I killed the pan? Is there a way to bring this pan back to usefulness?

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/9236/photo1wf.jpg

Thanks,
Andrew

Tags
seasoning