Silicone cook/bakeware pros and cons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scarthhd

Assistant Cook
My wife subscribes to a magazine here in the U.K called baked and delicious which gives recipes out plus silicone bakeware, which she loves it's easy to clean doesn't loose it's shape or scorch or burn easy, anyone else any input on this?

It almost seems like trying to reinvent the wheel. Many silicone pans need a pan under them to support them while baking.

Maybe I'm old school, but I really enjoy commercial bakeware, I like the way it performs, and never found it hard to clean.

I would agree with Bakechef. I have several silicone pieces, have had a number of "oops" moments when I didn't have a supporting pan when I first started using them.

That said, they do clean up nicely in the dishwasher, but it's hard to get the soap smell out of them.

I've never used or really wanted any silicone bakeware, but I do use silicone sheets to line sheet pans when appropriate for cookies and such.

The silicon bakeware certainly have a place in the kitchen, imo.

There are numerous molds and forms that I am sure could be done in metal, but the silicon makes life SO much easier. Also, the ability to go from freezer to oven, and vice versus is really nice. The silicon bake ware has come leaps and bounds in the last 10 years, and I wouldn't shrug them off. Sure, a good bundt, spring form pan, good ol 9X9, half sheets/full sheets, will NEVER leave the kitchen, there is some good things about silicon too.

The smaller forms are SUPER versatile, and can be used for a LOT more than just baking too, jello molds, ice cream/sorbet molds, Ganache molds(truffles), ice cubes, individual terrines, pates. . .loads of possibilities.

Back
Top Bottom