"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 04-10-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Silicone Cookware - Bakeware - Anyone Tried It?

I've seen the ads on tv for silicone bakeware/cookware. Has anyone tried it?

Old 04-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

I have a silicone muffin "tin". I really like it. It works real well and storage and cleaning are a breeze.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I have a silicone muffin "tin". I really like it. It works real well and storage and cleaning are a breeze.
Thanks, GB. I'm very tempted. Looks like you can scrunch 'em up too and they need almost no space to store. Do you need to use cooking spray?
Old 04-10-2006, 02:17 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

I do not bake very much so wait to get other peoples opinions before you buy anything, but I think these are great. I did not need any cooking spray at all. The muffins came right out without anything.

I can fold mine in half and store it where I would never be able to get a regular muffin tin. I bought mine at The Christmas Tree Store for less than $5 so it was a no brainer for me!
Old 04-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I've heard a numbr of people (including America's Test Kitchen) cursing the silicone bakeware because it doesn't release baked goods easily.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:18 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Andy's comment is the same riff I've been hearing, mish, but here you have geebs with experience that is totally diff.

Don't have any myself so can't comment. I'm a Chicago Metallic fan for bakeware.

The stuff is pretty cheap at BB&B - and you know you have tons of those 20% off coupons. Just try a piece out and see whatcha think.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Let me just qualify my experience by saying we have only used it once so my experiences mght not be the best to go on
Old 04-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I have 2 pieces of silicon in my kitchen. One is a baking mat, which takes the place of parchment paper. I think it's just a great thing. And I've never had problems getting anything to release from it...quite the opposite, actually. It's the one made by Kitchenaid.

The other is just a stretching lid type of thing. It'll expand to fit over just about any size bowl so I don't have to go looking for the proper lid. Pretty handy. The actual silicon pans and the like? Don't know much about.

Edit: Check that...I have 5 pieces. 3 silicon basting brushes. But that's not what you're talking about.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:28 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I have silicone oven mitts, pot holders, silicone basting brush, silicone cookie sheet (with its own rack so its used on its own), loaf pan, and muffin tins. My dad went silicone crazy with my christmas gifts this year.
I don't like the cookie sheet, it releases the cookies, as well as a funny smell.
I like the muffin tin, but since it only holds 6, I usually use my old nonstick ones. If I spray the tins though, I never have trouble with my muffin pan, so I'm not sure if the silicone has any advantages.
I used the load pan to make baked pasta, and the pan made a funny smell. I can't remember if I've actually baked anything in it though.
I don't really see an advantage to the silicone-definately not as a replacement, but possibly for bakeware you don't already have.

I do like the oven mitts, especially when making spaghetti, I can shove the pasta into the pot without burning myself. But based on using my friend's ove glove, its better for baking.

The baster is probably my favorite thing. Or the pot holders, neither of those are really cookware/bakeware.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:02 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I have been using silicon bakewares for 2 years and I became a huge fan of them. I never had any sticking problems unless it was my fault (wrong oven temp. or wrong composition of the ingredients), and as GB pointed out, very easy to clean.
Just remember to put it on a sturdy surface with which you can put it in the oven before you pour in gooey batter though, as it is impossible to lift it by itself... you can take out the oven rack and place the form on top, or I use a pizza pan which is dotted with small holes. You can use any kind of flat tray though, they are much easier to put it in and out of the oven than a big oven rack...
I agree with marmar the silicon mitts are great!! It became indispensable for me when I peel the hot whole potatoes!!