"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 01-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
We have a LOT of Cast Iron. It will be fine to stack them. We generally put a paper towel between them. I am certain you will love them!!

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
Master Chef
Anything you put inbetween them will help. The puffier the better.

You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #13
Head Chef
My mother stacked her cast iron in her range drawer for my entire life, and so do I and I am not a young chick.

Never caused a problem.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #14
Sous Chef
If iron couldn't be stacked ... I hate to think of it! I don't know how I would store it, I would have no room to work, or the walls would be covered with iron.

Oh, that's right, the walls are getting covered with iron ... no more room to stack them. LOL!

Put a 'buffer' between the pans? Tried it once, just a waste of paper. If you only wipe the pan before putting it back in the stack your buffer material will get oily, and remove the oil, even if the buffer is non-absorbent. If you wash your pans (weak dish soap solution) there is nothing (sort of) to get on the bottom of the pan stacked in the pan.

Scratching the pans ... I'm sorry, I have to chuckle ... I don't even worry about seasoning iron. I'll burn out a pan, let it cool enough so it doesn't burst into flames when I throw some "oil" or grease in it to keep it from rusting, then put it in the stack. If it seasons it seasons, if it doesn't season it goes in the Garage Stack. The thought of scratching Iron by stacking it never crossed my mind. But then I'm a tactile person, It's in my genes or teachings that I don't bang things around.

Put something under the stack to protect the shelf? Most cretinly, use something cheap and disposable or easy to wash.

NOW, if it's enameled iron, that's a different creature .... I still stack it, but it looks better on the wall. L
Wart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:32 PM   #15
Senior Cook
Here's my silly question on the subject - Are you supposed to leave the crunch burned bits on the bottom of the cast iron skillet? I wipe it to keep the grease penetrated but can't get that other stuff off with a paper towel and I'm afraid to put it in water, lol
If you ain't eatin' WHAM, you ain't eatin' HAM! - Gussie (aka Louise Beavers)
Glorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:42 PM   #16
Head Chef
I deal with the burned bits on the inside bottom by scraping with an old broken spatula blade. The crud on the outside makes little difference, although it may act as an insulator. When I get a new (to me) pan, or when my old ones get too bad, I clean the exterior with a chucked wire brush and/or scrapers. I gotta agree with Wart and others here. Cast iron virtually indestructible, and you are not going to stratch it with another cast iron pan. CI is to use and enjoy.
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #17
Executive Chef
You can use water on the pans, that's not a problem. It's soap, of any kind, that you can't use. The manufacturers directions for the Lodge say to use hot water after only a short cool down period to get the gunky stuff off. I wouldn't soak CI because it will rust, but you can use water.
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #18
Sous Chef
THe only thing I don't do is put a hot pan under cold water. A slightly hotter than 212 degree pan under hot running water (the last water heater provided 150~160 degree water ;) ), but NEVER under Clod water.

And thats my only never.

About that thing about never using any kind of soap , L , I guess we could have a war over that.

This week it's Palmolive, looks like next week it's going to be Oxy Plus. A couple of drops on a sponge, plenty of hot water, never had a problem.

OTOH most of my iron is Wagner, Griswold or just plane old. And I'm not worried about "perfect", just functional.
Wart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #19
I have several CI pieces and I've been using the paper towel method w/o any problem since there's a good heavy seasoning on them.

ribs and steak is offline   Reply With Quote