"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-29-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Silly Cast Iron Question

My DD got me a 8" and 10" cast iron skillet for my birthday and I bought myself a 12". So here's my silly question ~ can I stack them in my cupboard or do they scratch each other if I store them this way?

Old 01-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
It may be ok, I really don't know. I'd say, until you're sure, just place a paper towel or two in between them. Scratching takes off seasoning, which is not good.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
It may be ok, I really don't know. I'd say, until you're sure, just place a paper towel or two in between them. Scratching takes off seasoning, which is not good.
Elf is right. I stack mine all the time but just put a paper towel between and have never had a problem.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Another thought, what do you think of, would maybe be that puffy shelf liner stuff that keeps your dishes from sliding when you put them in the cupboard. I could custom cut them to fit. Does that sound good or would they maybe stick to the pan?

I know, I sound totally silly but these pans mean a lot because they are my birthday/Christmas gift from my daughter and it wasn't necessarily easy for her to buy them.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I think that would be fine. Just be sure to occasionally smell these liners as they may turn rancid from re-use. The oil they absorb may eventually go off. Be sure to cut them to protect the sides too...or just use the paper towels, which can be thrown away each time.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
Head Chef

I have stacked my CI pans forever, with no negative results. I would think that if you use the foam shelf liner, you would have to be sure that the pans were cool. For me, it just seem like an unecessary step. We all use metal utensils with no negative results with CI.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
Master Chef

I'm not sure about the rubber shelf liner. I think the papertowels would be just as good. I reuse the towels several times so it's not like it's a big expense. If you really wanted to have a reusable liner, I would go with old kitchen towels or washcloths that can be thrown into the washing machine every now and then.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
Cook

The only reason that I don't stack my cast iron is because I have a white smoothtop stove that they mar up if there's stuff on the bottom of them. Before, with my old stove, all of my cast iron was nestled without anything between it and I never experienced problems with it.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
Master Chef

I dump mine unprotected into the bottom drawer thingie of my stove. IMO they really don't need special care.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I dump mine unprotected into the bottom drawer thingie of my stove. IMO they really don't need special care.
Came here to say just this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ !!!

I have 2-6 in, 2-8 in, 2-10 in 1-12-in, a chicken fryer, and a sloped corn bread skillet just in the kitchen cabinet...They get banged all over each other with no harm. Pots in the pantry the same way...I do use a paper towel inside -- partially outside under the lid of my Dutch Ovens to absorb any moisture build up inside.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote