"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 11-10-2004, 09:04 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Check your restuarant supply store - I found the professional silicon sheets $15 for quarter size [based on the whole sheet pan size I guess] have not used them yet tho...

Old 11-10-2004, 10:44 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Pretty much in the 20-25$ range, Audeo - gads, I'd have to buy 4 to get my Christmas baking done!!

Old 11-10-2004, 10:51 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Re: Silpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter
Since I'm incredibly fussy, Sherrie always tells me to just buy what I want for Christmas (saves on the returns). I really don't want/need much right now. I don't have any Silpat sheets - are they something worth having? I've decided to pass on the silicone mitts - are the silicone pot holders any better?
awww, otter, don't you buy any surprise gifts for each other? ya gotta have something little that you don't expect. that's the whole meaning of giving gifts at christmas. otherwise, it's just an exercise in capitalism...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 11:40 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Re: Silpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
awww, otter, don't you buy any surprise gifts for each other? ya gotta have something little that you don't expect. that's the whole meaning of giving gifts at christmas. otherwise, it's just an exercise in capitalism...
We buy a few surprise gifts for Christmas, but mainly we each buy what we want during the year and tell the other that's what they got us for Christmas. I know, bah humbug!
Old 11-10-2004, 05:50 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to pst1can
I use my Silpat religiously....wash in soap and water anytime with no ill effect. One of the best things I like about my Silpats is you do not need to grease/butter/pam spray the surface. When baking something as delicate as a coconut macaroon...when you pull the pan...it stops baking, so you do not need to watch the finished product in the oven as much. I also have the muffin trays and you never need to use papers if you don't want.
I use my silpats under nachos, chicken wings, warming up ribs...and the list goes on!
Old 11-10-2004, 05:56 PM   #16
Master Chef

Silcone baking mats are something on my "someday" list. I've been looking around and this is what I have found out about the various brands (assuming a standard cookie sheet size of 11"x15" to 12"x16"):

Not all mats are made the same and cleaning and storage are different according to the brand. Some say you can hand wash with soap and water, some say just wipe with a damp towel, some others say don't get them wet - just shake or wipe them with a dry towel. Some say to store flat - others say you can roll them up. Some are good for 1000 uses - some for 3000+ uses. Temp ranges also vary - some are 450-480 F, some as high as 580 F.

The one thing that I have noticed about them it that based on price vs number of uses they average right about 0.7 (7/10) cent per use +/- a little (0.64-0.72).

Parchment paper (that I have been able to find locally or on the Internet) runs anywhere from about 5-cents to 15-cents per sheet - depending on where you get it and in what quantity.

Crunching the numbers - 3000 uses of a silicone mat will cost you about $20. 3000 sheets of parchment paper at 1-cent will cost you $30, at 5-cents $150, at 15-cents $450.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:49 AM   #17
Head Chef

Wow, Michael, thanks for working out that comparative study! Makes me feel good about my silpats! I got them from a wholesaler for about $11 each here. But they didn't come with any instructions on proper care and use. Parchment paper is pretty expensive around these parts, if you can find it at all.

Thanks mudbug and pst1can, for the feedback on care and use! :)
Old 11-12-2004, 05:02 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Crunching the numbers - 3000 uses of a silicone mat will cost you about $20. 3000 sheets of parchment paper at 1-cent will cost you $30, at 5-cents $150, at 15-cents $450.
...and good ol' Crisco is :?: :?: :?: ... (sorry - couldn't resist )
Old 11-12-2004, 10:23 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by subfuscpersona
...and good ol' Crisco is :?: :?: :?: ... (sorry - couldn't resist )
Causes a change in the browning on the bottom ... that is why recipes call for baking on an "ungreased" pan. That is why parchment paper (silicone impregnated paper) and silicone baking mats are used ... they are non-stick without the grease.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:56 AM   #20
Executive Chef

I have used foil, waxed paper, parchment paper, butter, Pam, nonstick and all the other things you can use to make your cookies. Never fails, some of them always burn. I am not fond of parchment, and like others have said, it's not inexpensive or else, I've bought at the wrong stores all this time. I bought 3 boxes at Pic N Save years ago and they're for Papiot (SP?) wrapping of packages for food baking. Like you put your food in there, wrap it up and bend the edges, then bake. But they were still $1.99 for each box and there isn't a lot in the box. I've wanted Silpat or any other kind of baking silicone sheets for ever. I have found them a couple of times on the Amazon.com Friday sale but it's been 'after' Friday so I always seem to miss the bargain.

This is no lie. For my Christmas list, I ask for Silpat Sheets, Le creuset dutch oven in 7 and/or 9, 11, 13 quart sizes, barbecue flipper with the knife cutter on one side, counter top pasta roller, and that's it. Wanna bet me I get none of the above? My DIL told me she's done Christmas shopping and being 9 months pregnant, I can't ask her to redo me.